My pass side and front engine mount DIY...

cl206

Reaction score
FINALLY! got my front and pass side done and fixed the resulting power steering issue too!
This is for the 2000 accord coupe v6:

Here's how I did the pass side engine mt:

First the car should be on level surface and while I am not 100% sure for the side mt, I believe you should put a block of wood between ur jack and the oil pan and just give it a tiny lift, as to put the weight off the side mt. I actually forgot to do this initially and maybe that was why I sheared off one of the bracket bolts.

Next I loosened the 2 10mm bolt (green circles) to get more clearance.
I also removed the bolt for the PS steering fluid to get more clearance as well. Not sure if that was really necessary...
Then I started to remove the blue circled bolt (14mm I believe) which attaches the PSEM to the frame. There are 2 more of those in the cavity pointed to by the 2 blue arrows. The top one is pretty easy to see but you can't really get to the bottom one without removing that 17MM? LONG bolt circled in red. Then I went for the 2 bracket bolts which are below the yellow circled hose. The top one came out okay but I broke off the second one. I was like ****! I think it might be because I forgot to raise the engine a little. Maybe I should have used PB blaster...ALSO did you notice I wrote DRY and pointed to the spot where the inlet of the PS fluid goes into the PS pump? You gotta be careful in removing the bracket and the PSEM.
IMG_SEM1.jpg

Once all those bolts came out, you can wiggle out the aluminum bracket first. NOW I didn't realize this but there is a clip on the PSEM that has a small metal pipe attached to it. You should remove that first before taking the PSEM out thru this space that is circled in yellow. You can see that silver colored pipe. I didn't realize that and just yanked it out oops. No harm done luckily. Notice the PS pump is still dry.
IMG_SEM3.jpg

Here is a pic of the new and old PSEM:
IMG_SEM4.jpg

If you got this far, installation is pretty straightforward. BTW I used a magnetic pickup tool a couple of times as well as this trick for starting the top bolt b.c. my hands CANNOT get into the top spot. This pic shows the trick on the bottom bolt, which I didn't need to do but just wanted to show the point:
IMG_SEM2.jpg

Here is a pic of the new PSEM in its place and while I didn't notice it then, when I was doing this DIY I realized the LEAK:
IMG_4480.jpg

You know what, that wet spot might have been my sweat because I was perspiring like a dog.

Here is a pic of the two bolts where the bottom one broke off and I had to drill a hole and used a substitute bolt with a nut:
IMG_SEM5.jpg

I swear, it is an old car and like every bolt is rusted to death.

The big lesson here is BE CAREFUL while moving the PS stuff/hose around. Evidently I caused a leak because I was just too strong :rofl: and air got into the PS system and took me all day today with help from youtube and Stunna and nhozz to figure out what was wrong. That will be a separate DIY.

NOW FOR THE FRONT: No drama here except I also broke off one of the heat shield bolt. You can see that later. ALSO, I used a ratcheting wrench and sometimes I unscrew too far and got a little stuck because the bolt is long and there is like NO clearance hehe so be careful! I had to manually back it back in and use the open end tediously.

First thing I did was jack the front of the car (so I can get underneath) and put it on wooden ramps or you can do jackstands. Then like before I raised the engine this time on the transmission just a little so to take the weight off the mount. Now there are 3 bolts that attaches the bracket to the engine and one more to the stud. The right and top one and the stud one are easy. The bottom left one I had to get to from the bottom. I think they are all 14mm except for the stud one which I think is 17mm. You can see 3 of the bracket bolts and one of the 4 bolts that attaches the mount to the frame:
IMG_FEM1.jpg

Here is how I got the bottom left bracket bolt. You can actually get both bottom bolts like this. This is me on my back with a gearwrench flex head xbeam ratcheting 14mm wrench. don't take it too far out with the close end or the wrench will get trapped. use the open end, or something else you like.
IMG_FEM2.jpg

I had to remove the heat shield for the last mount bolt to the frame. One of the three bolts broke off so I just used 2 to put the shield back:
I am not sure if you even had to remove it anyways: I got the circled bolt here from the bottom and in this pic I already got that last mt to the frame bolt out.
IMG_FEM3.jpg

BTW for the last bolt to the frame I used a couple of extensions and a Ujoint to get to it but wasn't too bad at all.

Once all the bolts are off, I wiggled the bracket out and then before you get the mount, unplug the vacuum hose first! You have to carefully move the radiator hoses out of the way and watch out for the fans etc. I honestly was getting so tired, I was like banging things left and right:p

Putting it back wasn't bad and pretty straightforward at this pt.

Good luck! Watch the PS steering hoses and check the bolt sizes. I used blue loctite for the PSEM bolts but i forgot to put it for the FEM. I was like fack it at this pt. BTW when I was drilling that bolt from the PSEM that got sheared off, my freaking cobalt bit broke off haha! I was like WTF! Eventually I got it out with my drill because there was still enough bit for the drill to grab back on.
Any corrections or comments are welcomed!

Again the only BIG issue I had was air got into my PS system because I guess I was rough on the PS components. But that got fixed today and I will post a DIY on the flushing and o-ring later tonight.

Last edited:

cl206

Reaction score
Yup! I also did my MDX today and everything is looking good! I would not want to be doing this again because those bolts are so rusted beyond rusted.

My plan now is to drive it until the mounts or something just falls off by itself LOL

Back