Need avice on Accord Sedan (hope this is the right forum)

DarkSpork

Reaction score
Hello, everybody. Wasn't sure which forum to post this in. I figured either this one or general forum.

My wife recently lost her Accord in an auto collision. We're trying to figure out what car to replace it with, and another Accord seems to make a lot of sense. Only problem is, from my understanding the automatic transmissions in this era of Accords are prone to failure. I understand the issue could be avoided by getting a manual transmission, but its harder to find one she wants with a MT and I want her to be happy with it.

Are there any ways to avoid transmission failure in this era of Accords? Any ways to tell if the Accord we are looking at may be more or less prone to transmission failure? It was not an issue on her car, but from what I'm reading its a common enough issue that it should be a concern. I'm thinking if we get one it should be a meticulously maintained 1 owner car as a precaution. I'm also thinking the V6 autos are more prone to failure because they have to handle more power, am I wrong on this? She likes the V6 because of the available seat warmers though. We've pretty much narrowed it down to another Accord, Lexus ES 300, or Toyota Avalon (I hope this isn't blasphemy).

Anybody have any experience/problems with this? Any advice? It sounds like more than anything she wants another Accord. Thanks.

DarkSpork

Reaction score
What transmission problems are you referring to? :confused:

From what I've been reading there are several occurrences of slipping, rough shifting, eventually leading to premature failure.

lol yes i4 and v6 trannys are gonna fail. 5 speed is the only way.

There's no difference in transmission reliability between the I4 and V6? Are the transmission failure rates bad enough that I should steer her away from an Accord if she wants an automatic?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
like any car model, there's some that last literally forever and some that need constant upkeep. there's reports of v6 people having a transmission die after less than 10k miles...others have 200k+ on their original transmission.

my 98 4cyl auto is at 150k now, and theres a pronounced hesitation going from 2nd to 1st (like a slow roll for a left turn)...but i know how to drive around it so i hope (like you wouldnt believe LOL) it doesnt become a significant problem. and honestly...of all the cars i've driven (lots...), if you punch the gas at the wrong time, you'll get that "slam" into 1st even on a 09 vehicle.

keys: trans fluid change NOT flush every 20k or so, let it warm up before getting on the gas too hard, and dont drive it hard...easy on the gas, easy on the brakes. those are all just common sense and maintenance, really.

if someone asked me if a 4cyl auto was a bad car, i'd have to say "no, it's a great car...with the usual upkeep." the v6 issue is common and well known. i still advised my dad he'd be ok with an 03 TL-S with 94k and while it exhibits the "1st gear slam" when you punch the gas from a roll, it drives fine otherwise. my accord does too.

if you can get an MT, do it. if you see the right AT, go for it.

DarkSpork

Reaction score
like any car model, there's some that last literally forever and some that need constant upkeep. there's reports of v6 people having a transmission die after less than 10k miles...others have 200k+ on their original transmission.

my 98 4cyl auto is at 150k now, and theres a pronounced hesitation going from 2nd to 1st (like a slow roll for a left turn)...but i know how to drive around it so i hope (like you wouldnt believe LOL) it doesnt become a significant problem. and honestly...of all the cars i've driven (lots...), if you punch the gas at the wrong time, you'll get that "slam" into 1st even on a 09 vehicle.

keys: trans fluid change NOT flush every 20k or so, let it warm up before getting on the gas too hard, and dont drive it hard...easy on the gas, easy on the brakes. those are all just common sense and maintenance, really.

if someone asked me if a 4cyl auto was a bad car, i'd have to say "no, it's a great car...with the usual upkeep." the v6 issue is common and well known. i still advised my dad he'd be ok with an 03 TL-S with 94k and while it exhibits the "1st gear slam" when you punch the gas from a roll, it drives fine otherwise. my accord does too.

if you can get an MT, do it. if you see the right AT, go for it.

I understand that maintenance is key to longevity in any vehicle. Why drain instead of flush? Is there a filter to be chained in the auto trans? If it were myself it would be a manual. (I've been in enough vehicles at work that have had auto transmissions fail that I would never want an auto for myself, plus the ability to engine brake in the winter is a plus :thumbsup:)

However, the car will be the wife's and she is nearly certain she wants an auto, she really likes the 6th gen accords which is why I'm trying to figure out the whole trans thing. If its what she wants I suppose its worth the risk, but if the trans were to blow she'd be stuck driving my truck, waking up early to take me to work, and being ready and random times to pick me up. I'd much rather the small risk of the trans issue then her get a VW (which are nightmares for reliability from my understanding).

Sounds like its a risk, but I suppose any used vehicle purchase is. Her last 6th gen had 170k miles with no issues, maybe she'll have the same luck again, especially if she gets another 1 owner. Thanks everyone for your input :beer:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
the school of "drain and fill" kinda bases itself on the fact that the deposits are best left to fill in the cracks, if you will. it would be like taking apart a head, cleaning it, then putting the old gaskets and seals back in. even if the engine didnt leak or burn anything before, chances are you'd find a weak spot despite everything being the same.

there is no filter on the 4cyl cars, only a magnetic drain plus...not 100% sure on the v6 though. v6 people add an external cooler to help extend the life of the trans.

if your truck would break down, you'd still be in the same situation but reversed ;)

just keep in mind the 6ga's are now 7-11 year-old vehicles. i think i am the 3rd owner of mine, and ive had it for over 3 years of its life and it was treated like garbage by the previous owner(s) so now i'm fixing all the problems they so kindly left for me.

good luck...there's still some nice sedans out there :D

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
V6 tranny is problematic, but I4 auto tranny is fine imo.... as long as u do regular drain and fills, u will be fine... good luck

btw, the ES300 is a nice car, but why not get the IS300? :boink:

Back