Need help choosing Tools

Reaction score
Okay, so first off. I don't own any tools (ratchets, sockets, wrenches etc.). Doing some shopping on amazon trying to find the right tools i will need to work on my 98 Honda Accord LX 4 cyl. What do you guys recommend? Here is what I am planning on getting so far:

-3/8 ratchet
-12 inch breaker bar
-socket sizes in metric 8-19mm
-wrench set 8-19mm

What i really want to know is if i will need a 1/2 ratchet and sockets or will i be fine with this. I am a beginner. The first thing I plan to replace is the motor mounts. What do you guys think?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
First set of tools I bought was a 137pc Craftsman kit from Sears, it's paid for itself 100 times over. Its an easy way to get the majority of tools you use for most jobs. Breaker bar is definitely a good idea, though 1/2" drive is probably more useful. From there its just picking up other tools as you go.

Changing motor mounts is a decent job, especially when you get to the rear. Make sure you are prepared and know what you're doing.

Reaction score
Why would a 1/2 be more useful? Is it just stronger? Also, do you know if i will need sockets larger than 19mm for the accord?

FNCONE

Reaction score
-A jack (not the factory one)
-Jack stands
-Piece of wood for the jack to raise the engine a bit.
-WD-40, PB plaster
-Try get 1/2 inch ratchet and breaker
-Some wrenches and sockets. For Hondas 8 10 12 14 17 19
-Maybe 2 12" extensions for that rear mount.
The 1/2 will give you more torque,. If they are tight, I use the jack bar to make a cheater bar (if your ratchet fits in the bar).
The right tool gets the job done.
For a v6 you wont need bigger than 19 to do mounts. (someone can chime in for the i4)

If you are going to do more work, definitely invest in a set. Piecing it together gets more expensive than just buying a set.
GOOD LUCK!

kthung

Reaction score
I also got a set from sears. I agree its just easier to have everything to start out with and covers most of your bases. The one I got is here:
http://www.sears.com/dewalt-socket-set/p-00939204000P
DeWalt 204 Piece Mechanics Tool Set; 1/4, 3/8, & 1/2-inch Drive

Might be overkill but I'm probably set for 99% of the stuff I do. Also I got a good price. Keep an eye on slickdeals. Sears usually has a sale on a dewalt or craftsman set every so often. I paid $125+tax for the set I linked above (normally $200)and I'm extremely pleased with the quality. If that's a bit of a stretch, you can pick up a smaller kit or one that's just metric, but the way I look at it these will probably last me my lifetime so I figure if I'm gonna get the tools eventually might as well get the set and keep them all organized. Also don't forget, you can get a lot tools that you only need for one or two jobs on loan from Autozone or Advance Auto Parts.

Also some other tools that have come in handy for me:
Oil filter wrench (I got a cheap socket style one from WalMart)
Ramps and Tire Chucks (If you decide to go ramps over jack stands don't for get to chuck the rear wheels!! Emergency brake isn't enough)
Dremel/rotary tool (A MUST if you plan on doing any fabrication stuff, retros, AT shifter swaps etc)

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Not necessarily on Amazon, but I love my Pittsburgh low profile jack. Don't remember what I paid for it but I ended up getting a second one cause I love it to death! Definitely the lowest jacks I've been able to find, too.

If you have a garage, a roof mounted retractable light. Also get some different size LED lights. If you have a solid bench, a nice vice. I also just got a Craftsmen cordless impact that works great. Set of torx sockets and drivers, same thing for Allen. Many different angles and sizes of needle nose pliers and channel locks.

Might not be tools but it's good to have lots of chemicals. PB, brake clean (a lot of brake clean), purple power, WD-40, kitty litter....

Also good to have electrical stuff. Small screwdriver set, nice stripers, crimpers, nice (40W+) soldering iron, solder, Scotch 3M Super 33 electrical tape....

Buy a decent sized oil pan. Oh, and I can't live without my air compressor and 2 post lift so be sure to get those :lawl:

I could go on all day, there's just way too many. But there's a pretty good list for ya

Last edited:

Brad2274

Reaction score
get a harbor freight low profile jack, the steel one might be a better idea as my alluminum one flexes some when you go high up :lawl:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
-3/8 ratchet

I have many. I have 1/4" size, and 1/2" size, all flex head, but several solid head. My hard worker is my standard 3/8" 14" long snap-on flex head. Things done about 8 yrs, 100lb ft, enough work (with ZERO) rebuilds that the chrome on the handle is WEARING off. It'll set you back about $120 tho.

like this
717483400_o.jpg

-12 inch breaker bar
not sure here...my 1/2" ratchets will do enough tq to snap your lugs, I got 3/4" ratchets? You want a 12" (1 foot) breaker?

-socket sizes in metric 8-19mm
why dont we just say here you can go cheap. If it fits, do it. Good ones do it better, but the price is scary (8-19mm, short, chrome, 3/8 like 150, i have black & chrome, short & deep, some are more), invest in a set of extensions.

-wrench set 8-19mm
here you have differences! My home mismatched set kinda sucks, but me work set is perfect. They fit your hand different. I tried out several different brands, Mac, Matco, *gasp* craftsmen, benchtop, harbor freight, and went with the trusty snap on. Of course, again, they're stronger than even, but at more than $100 a set...you probly shouldnt act like me.

Back