Need some advice on whether worth buying...

rooky

Reaction score
I know there was a safety recall on the transmissions for the accords, can they provide you with the vin and perhaps you can check to see if the tranny was already replaced. two positives could a come of it, if the tranny wasn't replaced and the recall is still open on it...you could possibly get if for a steal and get the tranny replaced for free, or the tranny was replaced and it hasn't hit the mileage for the replacement warranty to run out. but like others have said, its really about what you are looking for.:)

RoadRage vehicle recall only last 8 years from the recall date. Do your Home Work here: http://www.is-it-a-lemon.com/auto-extended-warranty/recalls/index.htm

Accord DOB minus now
1998-2015=17
:hmmm2::bowroflwerd6:

sb001

Banned
Reaction score
I know there was a safety recall on the transmissions for the accords, can they provide you with the vin and perhaps you can check to see if the tranny was already replaced. two positives could a come of it, if the tranny wasn't replaced and the recall is still open on it...you could possibly get if for a steal and get the tranny replaced for free, or the tranny was replaced and it hasn't hit the mileage for the replacement warranty to run out. but like others have said, its really about what you are looking for.:)

I've heard the rumor of this supposed transmission safety recall as well- i think it had something to do with the sensor that is supposed to detect your foot on the brake pedal so that you can shift out of park going bad on these and causes you to be unable to shift it. Or something. But I've never found any conclusive evidence of this recall actually existing-- got a link to info about this recall? Including when it was actually issued, so I can see if it is within the 8 year limit?

f23.Tetsusaiga

Reaction score
Gonna pass on this one, the horror stories I've heard about the 6th gen auto trannies make it not worth the risk. It would be ridiculous to pay $700 and get a "deal" only to find out the tranny swap/ rebuild costs $2000, then another $2000 after another 100,000 miles and on and on. After a while of that nonsense I like others would have enough.
And BTW I have a 69 bug and it doesn't overheat in traffic. :)
1420752.jpg
[/IMG]

Good idea. When I was looking for a car, I spent months researching. I dwindled my search down to an accord and a civic. I spotted one on auto trader (but was also referencing edmunds.com and kbb). That's my tetsusaiga that I bought! Hehe.
Keep an eye out, do some research and make the best decision you can for what your needs (first) and wants (a very close second).

Nice Bug by the way! How do you enjoy driving it?

Last edited:

sb001

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks tetsusaiga-

I love driving the bug, my folks bought it brand new in 1969 so it's been in the family since day 1. It was the car I learned to drive on, so the extra attention you have to pay when driving it has helped me all through my driving lifetime. It's an autostick, which is basically a manual tranny with a vacuum controlled automatic clutch. So you just let off the gas, shift, and hit the gas again. :D

f23.Tetsusaiga

Reaction score
Thanks tetsusaiga-

I love driving the bug, my folks bought it brand new in 1969 so it's been in the family since day 1. It was the car I learned to drive on, so the extra attention you have to pay when driving it has helped me all through my driving lifetime. It's an autostick, which is basically a manual tranny with a vacuum controlled automatic clutch. So you just let off the gas, shift, and hit the gas again. :D

You got it!
That sounds awesome, haha. I would love the opportunity to drive a car like that. I definitely bet that would help with other cars! A handful of my friends that have driven my car say I should get a new clutch, that the release isn't at a clear spot, which it isn't. I just wanted to do other stuff other than clutch starting out, since my accord is the first manual car I've ever owned. I had only driven manual a handful times before. I figured a difficult clutch makes for better practice!

Back