Need some paint repair advice!

hondaspeedx

Reaction score
OK, I'm sorry I don't have pictures right now but it's too dark. I have two questions for anyone out that with some body shop experience. I want to lose my pinstriping but recently had to settle with just redoing it because of two problems. (I have a San Marino red paint job, oem color)

1.) The paint under the pinstriping is lighter than the rest of the car. This was true under my emblems. I clay barred my whole car and this didn't seem to help.

2.) On the left front fender somebody took a shortcut when they resprayed it and used the stripe as a masking line. Now when I remove the striping I see a small ridge where the paint is higher. I'm too scared to try some high grit sand paper or even polishing compound without some advice.

Anything is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
not sure if theres a way to get the lighter color to match up..Can try wet sanding it with 3000G and buff and polish..

but for the ridge just lightly go over it with 2000/3000g until its gone or less noticeable and buff it.

travisn

Reaction score
nope, you are effed. the color will never buff out, neither will the hard line. if you sand it out you will to go through the clear eventually and it will look horrible. you can always take the stripe off and put a different color in its place.

INK DEMON

Reaction score
OK, I'm sorry I don't have pictures right now but it's too dark. I have two questions for anyone out that with some body shop experience. I wan to lose my pinstriping but recently had to settle with just redoing it because of two problems. (I have a San Marino red paint job, oem color)

1.) The paint under the pinstriping is lighter than the rest of the car. This was true under my emblems. I clay barred my whole car and this didn't seem to help.

2.) On the left front fender somebody took a shortcut when they resprayed it and used the stripe as a masking line. Now when I remove the striping I see a small ridge where the paint is higher. I'm too scared to try some high grit sand paper or even polishing compound without some advice.

Anything is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Not much you can do about the color difference and as fas as the stripe goes, the guy above me is right, if you sand it down you would (more than likely) remove the clear coat. Reason why I say more than likely is because there is always the possibility the build-up might be only clear coat... But you'd really be rolling the dice. But to answer your question as completely as I can, you would need to wet sand the height difference down (with about 1500), respray the clear coat on a bigger area then use 2000 to smooth the edges. Rubbing compound is used to remove the fine pits created by 1500+ sandpaper. So I guess you can consider rubbing compound kinda like 3000 grit.

hondaspeedx

Reaction score
not sure if theres a way to get the lighter color to match up..Can try wet sanding it with 3000G and buff and polish..

but for the ridge just lightly go over it with 2000/3000g until its gone or less noticeable and buff it.

Thanks 1Nonly, that is what I was thinking, thanks man.

.... you can always take the stripe off and put a different color in its place.

Thanks travisn... that probably is the best option. I'l go with some simple like black or dark gunmetal.... keep it a little more inline with the look I want then the factory gold I just redid.

Not much you can do about the color difference and as fas as the stripe goes, the guy above me is right, if you sand it down you would (more than likely) remove the clear coat. Reason why I say more than likely is because there is always the possibility the build-up might be only clear coat... But you'd really be rolling the dice. But to answer your question as completely as I can, you would need to wet sand the height difference down (with about 1500), respray the clear coat on a bigger area then use 2000 to smooth the edges. Rubbing compound is used to remove the fine pits created by 1500+ sandpaper. So I guess you can consider rubbing compound kinda like 3000 grit.

Thanks good to know. I'll have it professional resprayed at some point. Especially when I find a place to fill in my hole from the emblem in back. Appreciate the info Ink Demon.

Back