Need your opinions on TL wheels

doublet

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new here but I've been frequent on V6P recently. I'm finally getting into the car. What took me so long?! :bash: :lawl:

So I found a guy on craigslist in my area selling these 17" TL wheels. He asked for 375 but I talked him down to 300. I love these on our 6th gen but I'm a little worried about the curbage. I was planning to repaint them anyway but will I be able to sand down the scrapes into decent shape? It's not anything beyond repairable is it? It should fit right on my 02 coupe right?

If I want it to look something like this, how much drop would i have to put on it, do you think? Thanks, everyone.

Edit: Sorry attachment errors. Fixing...

Last edited:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
whats up with the "ou.edu" popup thing? :thinking:

i'd guess it would be in the neighborhood of a 3" drop...

doublet

Reaction score
whats up with the "ou.edu" popup thing? :thinking:

i'd guess it would be in the neighborhood of a 3" drop...

Sorry I'm trying to fix that.

Edit: OK fixed. Can I get yall's opinions on the condition? Is it worth 300?

Last edited:

doublet

Reaction score
Nevermind, I told my gf to take a look at it for me because I'm at work and she talked him down to 200 and picked them up. lol What a gal!

Now I'm gonna have some repair to do. :skurred:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
they could be a LOT worse. guess he was motivated to sell since he cut the price almost in half :lawl:

get yourself plenty of sandpaper, some quality body filler, and a tack cloth and go nuts. those look super easy to refinish (no mesh, only 5 spokes, etc).

search around here or on the net for DIYs on repainting wheels if youve never done it before. those should also have a list of grits of sandpaper you need. dont forget to get the kind that's waterproof!!!!!!!!!! and good luck.

doublet

Reaction score
Thanks, Ryan. Yeah, it doesn't look that hard to fix up. I guess it was a steal for 200.

One question though, should I be using bondo or puddy? Wouldn't bondo just crack and break right off when you hit it lightly? And to me, it doesn't look like it will hold on to me well.

Last edited:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
bondo would work, although if you can find rage gold in any size other than a gallon, get that (and let me know...cause i cant find any smaller sizes :redface2: ).

its going to be such a thin coat of it that it will dry thoroughly. theres plenty of cars on the road not only with bondo on the wheels but bondo on the body. that stuff has a pretty tenacious grip.

edit: dont be hittin curbs after you bondo :lawl: curbs took chunks of aluminum off the rim...they'll take the fresh paint and bondo too.

doublet

Reaction score
Yeah, I can't find Rage Gold in smaller sizes either. But I assume Bondo-Glass would work the same way. It's definitely better than the regular Bondo.

lol Of couse I won't go hitting curbs but I'd rather be safe than sorry. That's why I asked about bondo vs puddy.

Back