new ball joints and struts

lifelongbread

Reaction score
so my tires have been wearing unevenly and i got an alignment and new tires about 15,xxx miles ago so my alignment shouldnt be to far out of wack so i got a front end check and they said i need new lower ball joints which i wouldnt doubt cause i dont now when the last time they were replaced. i rotate my tires religiously every 3000 miles with each oil change. but they are still wearing unevenly...

so i got them to price me out on 2 lower ball joints and 4 struts all the way around(the struts havent been replaced in about 90k miles). they told me 33.46 each for moog ball joints and 66.49 per monroe sensa-trac struts.
so thats about 332.87 in parts. they also told me its about 8 hours worth of labor at 79.99 per hour, but since i work at the tire store they said that they would work with me on the price. so the final price came up to 580.xx plus tax which makes it about 250 bucks in labor(this also includes an alignment) which would only be about 3.125 hours.... my mom said i can find a better deal, but honestly that doesnt sound like a bad deal to me... opinions and thoughts on that price?

sorry for the long post but i just need to know :)

Last edited:

Vlad02coupe

Reaction score
That is a ridiculous price. end of story and 8 hours is BS i had mine replaced in less than an hour i waited in the waiting room. granted they only did the front but come on, the back is gonna take 6 more hours than the front??

lifelongbread

Reaction score
well by the BOOKS he said it was about an hour a strut, and an hour per ball joint. which is what the books said. i know he can do it in less time, but thats what the big book of labor said. so i guess it would only be about 6 hours if you take how much time the book says but i know it never takes that long.
but for that price with parts and labor is that good or bad?

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
8 hours? :rofl:

even ripping out my stock suspension and putting my KSports in didn't take more than 2 1/2.

he's feeding you bull for the big labor cost he'll charge you.

lifelongbread

Reaction score
as i stated what he can do and what the books said are 2 different things. i know he can do it in alot less time than that. should i try and argue the labor down?

Vlad02coupe

Reaction score
the rest of the hours he will be lookin for other stuff on ur car to fix aka gettin more money out of you... anyway i would def get quotes from other shops dont go to the first guy you talk to, i got hooked up for a hundo on my job

lifelongbread

Reaction score
i work at that store so i mean i should get the best price there seeings i get a discount.....

Vlad02coupe

Reaction score
He's also charging you that much cuz he knows ur a kid that doesnt know any better

lifelongbread

Reaction score
should i get the parts and do it my self and cut out the cost of the labor. im not really sure on how to do it, but i can get help...?

Back