New Calipers?

Randy31

Reaction score
Looking for some guidance from those that have worked on calipers before.

While getting the timing belt changed on my 99 Accord EX I was told both rear calipers need to be replace because the pads on the one side were wearing quicker than the other (2 vs 4 left). They wanted $500 to replace both calipers plus pads.

I'm pretty handy and would like to do this myself having done a fair amount of other repairs before. I have read several of the posts out there where some replace but others rebuild. So I figured I would ask some questions for those that have more experience than I.

Couple of additional datapoints. I took both rear heels off and when looking at the outside pads, they both look about the same thickness to me. One does not look to have worn more than the other. I cant see the inside pad. I also took the emergency brake off to see how well the wheel spins. The left one will spin but the brake is rubbing some. If I spin hard, it will stop when I let go. The right one spins easier. When I spin it hard it will keep spinning for a little while after I let go.

So here are my questions
1. Is the fact that one wheel spins easier than the other significant?
2. Do I really need new calipers? I'm tempted to replace the pads and just watch them.
3. The mechanic told me that only one was bad but you have to replace both. Is that true or do I really only have to replace one.
4. I have seen that new calipers run ~$130. Should I get new or would rebuilt ones be ok. If rebuilt, where do you recommend I buy them?

Thanks for the help

kn0x47

Reaction score
First I would make sure the guide pins are still greased. Rebuilt is fine.You can get them at any auto parts store

F23A1AT

Reaction score
First I would make sure the guide pins are still greased. Rebuilt is fine.You can get them at any auto parts store

This

Also, those shops would do anything to take advantage of someone. Doing this job would take no more than an hour and a little know how. the guide pins do this regularly replace them and grease them well when you install the new ones.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
why do u need to replace the pins...?

pop them out, spray them with brake parts cleaner and regrease them

F23A1AT

Reaction score
They could be worn past the point of just re-greasing them (Mine were). They may not be though.

Personally, I'd just replace them, but that may not be an option for you. Grease them, ride a few thousand then check them again for uneven wear.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
i just did the brakes on my 99 accord and 93 corolla a couple months back and the pins look fine... the only reason u would replace them is if they got bent

Back