New from Ft. Lauderdale, FL 954 w/ pics of new ride!

teggyturbo

Reaction score
The grinding could be caused by the leaky tranny fluid hose which would cause air to get into the tranny therefore causing air pockets inside the actual transmission which in turn leads to grinding. When air gets inside a transmission it causes the tranny fluid to form around the air bubbles which causes an uneven coating of transmission fluid I would get that hose fixed ASAP, drain and re fill the tranny fluid. And then see what Happens.

The trainy could be one of the faulty automatics like a lot of us have been thru

Couldve been an abused tranny and the previous owner might have not waited for the car to come to a complete stop before shifting into and out of reverse

Thanks for this input.

Could one ruin JUST the reverse in this case? All the other gears tend to shift so smoothly, hence the reason both myself and the shop that did an overall look over the car did not test this. I am almost inclined not to complain and hope the tranny never goes bad... but of course I can afford that risk.

Would honda honor the extended 7yr, 100k mi warranty in good-will being that it's under 100k mi even though over 7yrs?

I will mention this tomorrow and see what the seller does. He has already agreed to have his shop look at the leak. Is the flush necessary? if so I will request this done.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
Yes a leak in the tranny fluid line could cause any one gear, even just reverse gear to grind.

I would consider asking the seller about taking the car in for the reverse gear to be inspected, the teeth might be gone from abuse.

I am pretty sure since your car is past the 7 year mark it is not eligeable for a new tranny but in my case when my tranny went it was under recall and I just called them and they got me a new transmision for free.

I always drain and refill tranny fluid when working on a transmission especially one that might possibly have air in the tranny fluid. I would drain and refill inorder to attempt to push out the air in the tranny line.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
But my guess would be that the reverse gear as gone out from tranny abuse ie not waiting to come to a complete stop before shifting into and out of reverse.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
Here's a question. Do u hear or feel any wierd clunking sounds or the car feeling like someone bumped the back of ur car when u shift from neutral into reverse?

And also btw my reverse gear seemed like it starting to go first before the tranny went bye bye.

teggyturbo

Reaction score
No, I didn't notice any sounds when shifting the N to R. To be clear, the sound only comes when applying gas and moving when the car is in Reverse, not actually during the shifting.

I'll be taking notes so I can sound more informed when I bring this to the seller tomorrow. :icon_axe: I was hoping the Honda would still honor the warranty even past the 7yrs as that may want to keep loyal customers (although of course I didn't buy this new)

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
No, I didn't notice any sounds when shifting the N to R. To be clear, the sound only comes when applying gas and moving when the car is in Reverse, not actually during the shifting.

I'll be taking notes so I can sound more informed when I bring this to the seller tomorrow. :icon_axe: I was hoping the Honda would still honor the warranty even past the 7yrs as that may want to keep loyal customers (although of course I didn't buy this new)

Well I'm not sure about the warranty. The best thing to do would be call and ask someone at honda.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Welcome to 6GA! If you or someone else cannot figure out what is causing this grinding before you buy it...I would stay away.

It's a shame most everything else is decent on the car, then it has a tranny issue. But there are easier/cheaper things to fix. Good luck man.

The ABS light is probably due to either a bad wheel speed sensor (first conclusion people jump to) or the wire is exposed, so check both if you can.

teggyturbo

Reaction score
Whattup Jaz, Boca huh?! Your ride is Ganstaaa. Have you done all your own mods? We gotta link up!

AllGo.. yeah I'll call Honda today!

RedRyder, thanks I will looking into the ABS. Thanks all for the welcomes! This board is ALLLIIVEE!

SykVSyx

Reaction score
I dont know about anyone else but I'd pay 4000 for it. Glad you are around. Searching the forum for answers to your questions is your best friend. Sit back, relax, and watch your money dissapear.:thumbsup:

About sums up what I would say as well.

Enjoy the site!

Back