New Member rant

CBO

Reaction score
Hello. I've been looking through the forum for a while now as I'm planning to buy a 6ga soon. I currently own a 1988 single cab 4x4 toyota pickup that I'm driving daily. Recently had a son so I wanted 4 seats and something with AC, more power, and something my wife can drive if need be. years ago my cousin had a white 6ga sedan and for some reason I loved that car. The styling of the accord just stands out to me over others of its age. Anyways, I'll be buying a 00-02 sedan in white or black. V6 and pray for no tranny problems. I love to mod my vehicles so keep an eye out for cbo's accord thread. Does anyone have any tips for buying a used accord? What things must I look for and check? Thanks guys. Hoping to own one soon!

-CBO

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
- TRANSMISSION rebuild proof/receipt!!!
- Pop the hood and look for any frame damage, low miles obviously.
- Most paint will be peeling. The lighter colors like gold, silver and white seem to hold up the best.
- Ball joints are known to fail above 150k miles or so.
- Keep an eye out for rust.
- Make sure you test drive it from a COLD start. A lot of our trans seem to slip worse when cold, also hard shifts are a sign of wear.
- Motor mounts
- Look for power steering high pressure line leaks.
- When the timing belt was changed with proof/receipt too.
- Check trans fluid when warmed up. Red in color, not burnt or dark.

These are just the basics. Im sure there are more things that other people on here would have to add. This is a good start though.

Good luck! I went from a 92 Mazda Pickup DD to my sedan for the same reason... but it was because I had a second kid.

Last edited:

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
avoid the v6... get a 5spd 4 banger instead... just make sure to ask when the timing belt was last changed

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If you're set on a V6 I'd step up to the 02-03 Acura TL...more luxurious, more sporty, and still 4 doors. Looks better too imo. Either way you have to accept you may have transmission issues.

Anyway welcome to the site. :)

CBO

Reaction score
Definitely want v6 power. Can only spend 3k. Some great advice guys thanks. I think I'll take the time to inspect each spark plug too. Probably a good idea.

AccordingToJB

Reaction score
Definitely want v6 power. Can only spend 3k. Some great advice guys thanks. I think I'll take the time to inspect each spark plug too. Probably a good idea.

That price seems reasonable. Hopefully you are not in a rush and can take the time to find the right car.

Be sure the owner has records on the transmission...specifically how often it was serviced. Then, once you own it, I would recommend you drain and fill transmission fluid quite often (more often than Honda recommends).

Good luck!

Back