New Pads and Rotors and now my brakes drag.

luciusad2004

Reaction score
Hey all, I changed my pads and Rotors today in the rear and now they drag.

The car moves but I can tell the brakes are dragging and I can just barely hear the pads sliding across the rotors. I took it around the block and then back to my garage and when I got back I could smell the pads burning.

The Drivers side was pretty bad when i pulled the old stuff off. The inner pad was pretty much flat but the outer pad looked barely used.
The Passenger side seemed to wear a bit more evenly.

I got it back in my garage and took the driver side apart again to look at it.
Firstly I attempted to bleed the brake, but when I cracked the bleeder it didn't really squirt out much brake fluid, It just sort of oozed out the top and was done before i even had a chance to react to it.

I noticed that the top slider was stuck so I pounded it out but it still doesn't want to move as much as the bottom slider but it's not seized anymore. The boot was torn so I assume there's corrosion in the Caliper bracket. I assume this is why the brakes were wearing unevenly in the first place.

Lastly I looked at the ebrake cable to see if maybe the ebrake was stuck but the cable popped off easily so it looks like it's not stuck at all.

I haven't had a chance to tear the passenger side apart yet as I was getting really frustrated and had to walk away. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong or what I might have done wrong?

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
when i was changing my passenger side caliper, i noticed it rubbed a TINY bit, and asked my dad. he said very minimal, unnoticeable (while driving) rubbing is normal. but ive never really smelled my brakes while driving around

luciusad2004

Reaction score
Mine actually caused my rotors to heat up and turn blue along the inner most edge.

I took another look at it and it seems like the pad itself was stuck to the point were it wouldn't move away from the rotor. I took the two metal shims out that sit in the caliper bracket and it seems to be a bit better but I'm not sure if thats safe or not. Should the pads move easily in to the caliper bracket? When I Put them in the first time I had to pound them in with a mallet.

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
when i did mine, the pads slid out with minimal effort. sounds like something is seized somewhere

luciusad2004

Reaction score
I think it's because the caliper bracket is heavily corroded. I can get the caliper itself off but the pads don't want to let go of the bracket. I had to hammer them out and then hammer the new ones in. Maybe I'll just take the shims off for now and them eventually get a new set of brackets.

Edit: Tried to take out the shims. The driver side seems to be ok, the passenger side is still tight. It does have a stuck slider pin though so I might try to unstick it on saturday. Hopefully that does it.

Last edited:
Back