NEWB in the 702!!!

SkylarkAlias

Reaction score
Recently purchased my second favorite toy: 99 6GA EX Coupe :party36:

It was sort of a bucket that looked like it was in great shape outside…but for $2,000 can you blame me?
Bought the car starting/running (sort of) with as the previous owner described minor issues: these minor issues were a (Single) bad motor mount and passenger CV axle that needed replacing, and a minor oil leak. I drove the car away after a little negotiating and the handover of some cash…
Come to find out…..the car had what some describe as a "heat soak" problem, a cracked radiator (hairline crack on the top, super slow leak), broken fuel gauge (sort of). Not knowing much about Accords, other than that they run FOREVER if treated right, and being super busy i decided to take it in to a local shop for some preventative maintenance. $2,000 later i was fed up with the shop and still having issues with the car. :banghead:

So here is what has happened so far:

Battery replaced (Optima red top)

Starter replaced X2 (i bought and replaced one, then the next day it died on me) so I had it replaced at the money pit!!! (I asked for the old starter as I was going to return it to auto zone or oreilleys (i forget) but they told me they had to keep it otherwise they would have to charge me an extra $50 for the starter they put in….I say cool ill pay, all of a sudden they can't find it)

Radiator replaced. I saw the crack and decided it would be best to have the radiator changed, only to have the radiator hose burst on me they day after. another money-pit shop hit me in the wallet.

Oil leak at oil pan repaired-ish….

Oil leak at oil pump repaired (second trip to the money-pit) in my mind its the same issue.

water pump and timing belt replaced.

With the exception of the battery, all of these repairs were completed by the same shop. I left this shop on each of the 6 trips expecting for my car to run like a Honda should….but i was dead wrong. At this point and with the car still stalling (only when starting after short trips) i decided to put my mechanical skills to use. I don't claim to know everything about cars or troubleshooting things but if i know the problem/part that requires replacing i can figure out how to repair/fix it.

So after hours of google/youtube searches i figured out that my distributor oil leak (never found by the money-pit) was maybe the cause of my problems. replaced the cap, and the distributor shaft seal.
I also repaired the float on the fuel gauge sending unit. Money pit wanted to charge me $175 for parts and labor, i fixed it for $0.00!!!!!

If i had more time on my hands I would have started repairing things on my own from the beginning but i didn't, lesson learned.

Unfortunately I am headed to korea in 2 months, so my mods and repairs will be slow coming. the only planned repaint i know will be happening between now and june 1st is replacement of the 3 BLOWN OUT motor mounts and the 2 transmission mounts. I want this car to be Rock solid as it will be my daily driver/A-B car.

hope this wasn't too much to read, I've just been going through it with this car and had to get this out!!!!

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
Welcome, enjoy! Going to the "money pit" every time isn't the best idea if you're on the budget. I've gone to the dealer many times, they always find "something" but I just let them troubleshoot the car, and try to fix stuff myself. Saved thousands compared to their prices and labor.

Brimstone Brown

Reaction score
Welcome to the mothership. Tons of good diy info on this site. Use the search function grab your tools and start saving some $.

danmccormick87

Reaction score
:welcome: And once you have her up and running right, she will treat you to a long and happy life! Good luck!

Back