no speedo

adison11

Reaction score
Hello. I recently did a 5 speed swap in my 02 accord. It runs great, but im still trying to straighten out some of the wiring. Mostly the speedo. I have the vss wired directly to the manual ecu, tapped a ground from the old auto harness, and pulled power from the big auto plug at the D4 wire. No speedo, but no cel either. Makes me think something is getting through, but still stumped. At first i thought it was because my dash thought i was in R, but i moved some wires around and now it is in N and still no speedo. Thoughts?

adison11

Reaction score
Curious if it was where i got my power so i tapped the distributer instead of D4. No change. Could it be a bad vss? How could i tell? Also still no cel. Something is happening, but its not showing me my speed.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Dvom set to a/c volts, check wires at cluster with front wheels jacked up, at speed, w/ cluster disconnected and connected. Check @ cluster, ecm, vss.

DVOM may also indicate freq, one of mine does, should increase w/ speed.

adison11

Reaction score
I'll give it a try. Went to a friends house yesterday and he hooked it up to his computer and my ecu isnt throwing any codes. Sounds like ecu is getting a signal, but its getting lost on its way to my dash. The speedo worked fine before the swap. I haven't heard of anyone having to reroute wires post ecu. Gonna also look at fuses today (hopefully an obvious and simple sonltion).

adison11

Reaction score
verified, yes vss is working via multimeter. still no speedo. which means that the signal is getting lost somewhere after my ecu. What wires do I need to hunt down to find the missing signal (where does the ecu send out to the speedo)?. Also strange coincidence, my cruise control won't turn on (does not light up when I press the button on the dash. think these might be connected? Does my instrument cluster need to think I'm in Drive? I thought I remembered it showing my speed when I coasted in Neutral before (Dash says I'm in N). Also couldn't find any fuses directly related to only speedo, and nothing is blown. Odometer is not turning over. This has got to be some small simple something that I'm overlooking...

xci.ed6

Reaction score
If it is working at the sensor & ecm, check wiring diagram. I don't know where it splits, but first check at cluster.

Back