Oil Consumption - Fixed????

Dimitar

Reaction score
Hey guys

I made a thread about oil burning, which I have been trying to overcome ever since I bought my car. It is the first time yet, that I have managed to reduce the oil consumption, to what you call "normal". With 315k on the clock, a litre every oil change is great (for accords, imo)

So how did I do it? Apart from trying every additive there is(most), cleaning out as much as I could without fully taking the engine apart, and trying different oils, I found something that worked.

Recently, I found out about KREEN (enging cleaner). It has been mentioned on many forums, for being a really thorough cleaner, and for about $20, I wasn't going to skip on it. Anyway, I bought a liter of the stuff.

Overnight, I took out each sparkplug, and poured about 50ml in each cylinder. I left it sit over night. Next day, I cranked, without the wires connected, so the engine would just turn over. I repeated this again over night. After finishing, I put everything back together, started her up. Drove around a couple blocks, warmed up the engine. Came back home. Poured half a bottle of seafoam in the intake through the break booster, other half I put into the oil. I went for a drive and smoked up the entire neighbourhood. Following, I ran about 400ml of KREEN cleaner into the crankcase, as well as 400ML of an "engine flush" (unknown brand, friend gave it to me that is a mechanic, swears by it, apparently when he worked at subrau the stealership bought tons of it, can get the name if anyone wants) I let it run at about 1200rpm for 10 minutes. Immediately I went and drained the oil and removed the filter. I let it drain for about 30 minutes. I removed my exhaust and oil pan. Cleaned all of it out fully, it was full of slugde. Looking up at the engine, I took combustion cleaner and sprayed it all inside. It dripped down black soot. I waited about half an hour, and used gas on a towel first to remove all the deposits from the area, then some break cleaner to dry it up. I left it like this over night. In the morning, everything was dry and I assembled it back together.

I bought a fram filer (I know they're not the best, all they have in the parts store near me), put it in, and I used Rotella T (15W-40) (2.5 liters) and 2 liters of ENEOS 0W-50 Oil) Started the car up, runs noticeably quieter. I drove, hard, with my buddy behind me. He tells me there is tiny bit of smoke coming out after exceeding 6k rpm, holding at 6k rpm blows minimally continuously. Anything until 6, the car is running without any visible smoke. It has been now over 900km since I changed the oil, and guessing from the dip stick about 100 - 200ml has been burned. This is all city, hard WOT driving. The oil on the dipstick is golden (first for me, after 200km it used to become completely black)

I forgot to mention I changed the spark plugs as they were going out, after the seafoaming. (Old ones were still dry though) I removed the new sparkplugs today, and they are also dry.

This obviously won't work for everyone, especially if your engine is actually shot, or the rings are completely ****ed. I believe mine were just stuck. Driven by an old lady before me, most likely neglected oil changes often, but never driven harshly (I think)

I hope this helps someone, because If I knew about this earlier it would have saved me a lot of headache, including letting deals on things for the car pass because of the uncertainty of the engines health.

Cheers!:party52:

Back