Passenger side window stuck-UPDATE-Will only go down

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Make/Model: 2002 Accord EX COUPE

I came home today and my passenger window just suck down. I have a few quick questions, sorry if many have been addressed before, I can't find exactly what I need.

First, is their any way to just get the window up? I don't have my manual at the moment but nothing will move at all. It isn't something where the motor is struggling or even making noise. In the short term, which is my most important question, is their anyway to get the window up (manually) by some how disengaging the motor/regular assembly?

Second, does the passenger side window switch have to be hooked up for the window to work, assuming I didn't have any other issues? It's a pain to keep on removing the door panel or unscrewing the switch as I figure things out. Wondering if it needs to be their.

Lastly, my window failed without any noise or the like. It just won't go up. I have check the fuses and they are good. The passenger side switch will make a click when the child safety switch is ON but not when OFF. Just want to check anything that is easier to get to first.

Sorry, I know this is a common problem on our cars, I mainly just want to get my window up ASAP so I can deal with everything else when I have time.

Last edited:

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
Re: Passenger side window stuck

You will need to replace the regulator - that is what the mechanism is called that lifts and lowers the window. Rock auto has them for a good price, just be carefull which one you pick as there are a lot of variants. Don't keep pressing the button, you can scratch the glass or the film on the inside if you have it.

I think I did a how-to somewhere... probably in the DIY section... Might be worth a search... did I do pictures with it as well??? I can't remember

talontsiawd

Reaction score

You will need to replace the regulator - that is what the mechanism is called that lifts and lowers the window. Rock auto has them for a good price, just be carefull which one you pick as there are a lot of variants. Don't keep pressing the button, you can scratch the glass or the film on the inside if you have it.

I think I did a how-to somewhere... probably in the DIY section... Might be worth a search... did I do pictures with it as well??? I can't remember

That's what I figured but I have never had one fail on me without making any noise before it happened. That's why I was wondering about any other things I should check that could have failed.

Is it possible to manually get the window up in the short term? The window won't budge at all. It's not a problem where the window struggles to go up or drops, it just simply won't move electronically or by hand.

talontsiawd

Reaction score

OK, I was a bit skeptical that it was my motor or regulator. I tested the passenger side switch and it wasn't getting any voltage. With the safety on, it got 12 volts. Something isn't right with my switches. Hopefully my friend with an accord can let me borrow his.

I got the window up but jumping it to a 12 volt source. Goes up and down fine like that. It seemed to go down better than up but that may just be gravity as I used my battery which is likely dead now.

Hopefully that solves it, glad I didn't shell out the money for a new motor/regulator yet as it doesn't seem to be the problem.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Anyone know how to test the switches/wiring? My window will go down now but I need to use a 12 volt source to get it back up. Switch will not make it go back up.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Anyone know how to test the switches/wiring? My window will go down now but I need to use a 12 volt source to get it back up. Switch will not make it go back up.

So the switch works on its own to bring the window down but does not work when bringing it up? However if you hook up a 12v source directly to it it works fine both up and down?

Sounds almost like something gone with the wiring. Not sure if this shall help but here it is anyz..

43399774.jpg

talontsiawd

Reaction score
So the switch works on its own to bring the window down but does not work when bringing it up? However if you hook up a 12v source directly to it it works fine both up and down?

Sounds almost like something gone with the wiring. Not sure if this shall help but here it is anyz..

Thanks for the diagram. Too tired to figure it out ATM.

You are correct, the switch will bring the window down but not up. With a 12 volt source, the window goes up or down no issues. I did not know this at the time of my first post, figured it out as of my last.

I am waiting to try to let my friend let me borrow his window switches as I am hoping this is the culprit. I don't mind waiting now that my window is up now.

schmiddr2

Reaction score
I have seen switches fail like this. Just take a meter and check for continuity between terminals (once you unplug the connector). Could be done with a test light and a 9V too I suppose. But if it's not the switch then you will need a meter to track down where the voltage is stopping/dropping.

window1_zps0fb336f0.jpg

window2_zps7cae8dc7.jpg

Last edited:

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Thanks for the extra diagrams. I have a strong feeling it's the switch as the wiring looks good but you never know. I will likely not put more effort in until I can test the switches but if I have the same issue, this will be very valuable to me.

Back