Photography Shoutbox

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
yeah, the more expensive ones are more powerful :lawl:

also keep in mind the guide number is usually quoted at ISO 100, but theres nothing stopping you from using 200 or 400 (or higher, if your camera can do it).

fastflyinaccord

Reaction score
I have an SB-600.

Ryan, I was shooting last night with the iso on 200, 400 gave me too much noise.

For example, I took this picture of a guy on the inside:

DSC_0994 by Schaibles, on Flickr

And this guy on the outside:

DSC_1020 by Schaibles, on Flickr

^Note, I had to use my horrible editing skills to brighten it up so you could see the car better.

So, I'm prob gonna have to pony up the cash and buy an SB-800 or 900...Is there anything I should look for when shopping for a flash? Any numbers I should be aware of?

Thanks for the responses

kn0x47

Reaction score
What camera you shooting with? Shooting at your widest aperture?

If your only using it on-body then look at third party flashes. Just look at how the guide numbers are determined cause they could be rated differently

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
well...you need a more powerful flash or a faster lens or a body with better ISO handling...or a software solution like topaz denoise.

Or tell the track people to turn the lights up :lawl:

fastflyinaccord

Reaction score
well...you need a more powerful flash or a faster lens or a body with better ISO handling...or a software solution like topaz denoise.

Or tell the track people to turn the lights up :lawl:

I do need a faster lens :lawl:

I also need a more powerful flash :lawl:

A lot of times I just use my nifty fifty because its fast, but recently I've needed something with more zoomz. My wallet's gonna take a hurting

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
a 70-200/2.8 is like $800 new if you get a tamron or a *shiver* sigma. i cant imagine the nikkor version is under a grand, but its not like it going to lose half its value in 3 years like a camera does.

fastflyinaccord

Reaction score
a 70-200/2.8 is like $800 new if you get a tamron or a *shiver* sigma. i cant imagine the nikkor version is under a grand, but its not like it going to lose half its value in 3 years like a camera does.

Very true. I have to shop around. I know Tamron makes a 270 zoom but I have to check the f stop on it. After getting into shooting at the races, I find out a new piece of equipment I need every new track I go to hahaha

Back