Potential New Car......

shavedaccord

Reaction score
They are nice cars, I know someone who has owned 2..only problem is that Mitsubishi reliability...

shavedaccord

Reaction score
None that I can think of off hand. I'm just going off what I see some of my buddies go through with DSM's. Maybe the Galants VR-4's are a different story.

nyknick1015

Reaction score
nah, they the same problem with the DSM eclipses... they are no different. Its nice, i see alot of them around me. Just be careful with the headgaskets... Any common problem u expect from the eclipse, expect it from this car as well...

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
As far as I know, the 6-bolt is a pretty tough motor. Any specifics?
the 6 bolt is tougher than the 7 bolt, although all of them have the same issues.

the worst is the timing belt failing...for a few reasons. ive seen tensioner fails, balance shaft belt breaks, cam keys breaking, belts breaking, and uneven wear from an idler pulley. these are all things ive seen with my own eyes :lawl:

basically...change all the timing components straight off the bat, and either change the belt every 40-60k or invest in the greddy or hks belts (in the $250 range).

another issue is vacuum leaks...around the MAF housing, intercooler pipes coming off, and places on the IM. they're fun to track down :lawl:

ill think of other things...

talontsiawd

Reaction score
It is essentially a 6 bolt dsm in a galant body. You will have the same issues as an early talon/eclipse/laser.

You can use all performance parts from them too, outside of exhaust and suspension.

highway_patrol

Reaction score
Dude If I could have found one I would have one of those instead of my WRX but anyways good luck if you decide to go with it.

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
It is essentially a 6 bolt dsm in a galant body. You will have the same issues as an early talon/eclipse/laser.

You can use all performance parts from them too, outside of exhaust and suspension.

Thats the thing, my buddies 6-bolt Talon never really had any problems. He never beat on it either, neither will I. The only problems I know of are Timing belts and headgaskets.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Thats the thing, my buddies 6-bolt Talon never really had any problems. He never beat on it either, neither will I. The only problems I know of are Timing belts and headgaskets.

Honestly, even the 7 bolts are reliable. There is obviously crankwalk but that happens to so few, it's just a big deal if it does. And basically almost any car you are looking at if it had a 2g 7 bolt would probably already have walked anyway.

You also may have sensors go out alot too. I had this problem on my 2g, alot of people have this problem across the board. It's nothing that keeps it off the road, just things you have to diagnose. It won't be Honda reliable but it no FD rx7 either.

Back