Primary O2 sensor & CEL

xx24xx

Reaction score
I've had a CEL for about a year or so. I recently moved back to CA and need to SMOG it, but can't due to CEL. I took it to a mechanic to read the CEL and he told me it was the primary O2 sensor. I have a ULEV, so I had to spend $150 on the OEM part. Part is now in hand. I'm very price sensitive at the moment.

I'm being quoted between $105-$130 for an "hour" of work to install the part and remove the CEL. It looks like 5-10 minutes of work. Should I install the part myself? Do I have to use a scanner to remove the CEL? I was hoping if I installed the new sensor, I could reset the CEL from the dash. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1999 Accord LX ULEV

SSMNVCG3

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
swap the sensors and if you dont have access to a scanner then disconnect your battery for a minute then re connect it

jwong512

Reaction score
Don't pay him to do it. It's very easy to do it yourself. Just get an adjustable wrench and just loosen the nut on the sensor. Then unplug it, take the old one out, and put the new on in reverse. Since you don't have a code scanner, I would just disconnect the battery and reconnect it after 5 minutes so the ECU will relearn itself and clear the code.

xx24xx

Reaction score
Thank you. I thought disconnecting the battery didn't work on engines with ODB. I'll jump on it this weekend.

xx24xx

Reaction score
If anyone is searching for this, it WORKS!! Thanks again. :beer2:

Back