Question about Oil Cooler

Mr_Hback01

Reaction score
So long story short, my accord likes to drink oil.. Correct me if Im wrong, but Im pretty sure the engine tends to 'consume' a little oil when in higher rpm ranges, and I tend to drive it a lil harder than most of the other moms and grandmas that i see driving these :hihi: so that might be part of it.
Ive done a compression test, all cylinders are the same or within range so it seems like the rings are fine.

I'm wondering if installing an oil cooler might help the problem at all? A turbo build is not far off and I think it would be good for that as well..

These are what I was thinking of using:

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/hondaaccord19842004transdaptt3713581.html?prodSlot=Product+Listings+Page:1

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_info.php?cPath=15&products_id=1104&osCsid=b124b252fa20749c6aa97735dd6e42e5

Any input would be much appreciated, especially whether this is worthwhile or not for my problem, and future build. Thank you much!!

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
An oil cooler is used to keep the viscosity of the oil from getting like watery thin, and that only happens with race cars. Just drive easier otherwise its normal.

F23A1AT

Reaction score
It you are consuming enough oil to feel its worth mentioning, you need to solve that problem first. Once that is solved then consider the Turbo build. As for the cooler I reccomend against it unless you put a thermostat in there too it isn't nearly hot enough in Washington to warrent the need for one.

Mr_Hback01

Reaction score
Much appreciated input. On the oil consumption part: It's not an obscene amount of oil I lose, and Ive talked to the service guys at the dealership and had them check for leaks, they couldnt find any and they said it might just be the nature of the engine. No blue smoke on startup and I don't see any out my rearview under hard acceleration... Any other ideas of where else should i troubleshoot the problem? or If it really is a problem at all?

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Honestly I wouldn't worry abt the oil loss. My newer motor has about 75k miles on it and I'm down a pint on 2000 miles already. VTEC is oil thirsty.

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
only time you'd need an oil cooler is if your running time attack/road racing. For street driving your oil will never get hot enough to need it.

Mr_Hback01

Reaction score
Honestly I wouldn't worry abt the oil loss. My newer motor has about 75k miles on it and I'm down a pint on 2000 miles already. VTEC is oil thirsty.

Alright this is what I had more or less decided too... It is what it is. I will just continue to keep my watchful eye on the oil level and top it off when needed

only time you'd need an oil cooler is if your running time attack/road racing. For street driving your oil will never get hot enough to need it.

Alright, appreciate the insight, would it benefit a turbo though? Keep oil temperatures down a little? just seemed like it might help but if not, i will not spend the money on it.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Mr_Hback01 said:
Alright this is what I had more or less decided too... It is what it is. I will just continue to keep my watchful eye on the oil level and top it off when needed

Alright, appreciate the insight, would it benefit a turbo though? Keep oil temperatures down a little? just seemed like it might help but if not, i will not spend the money on it.
Your oil is already cooled in the oil pan. Ur car does not circulate all 4 qrts of oil in the pan. There is about 1qrt thats akways there on the bottom just sitting there being cycled.

You can run synthetic 5w40 to combat thinning oil but synthetic oil does a great job at keeping the rated viacisity at high temps anyways. An oil cooler wont hurt but its not needed unless u plan on driving the car like u hate it. And at that point u better have the money to play and a car on the side.

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score

it'd be a waste of money on anything other then a track car.

Back