Question about paint for a my Car

Harris.3

Reaction score
I just recently bought an 01 accord, and the paint is HORRIBLE. I wanna get a DECENT paint job, not too fancy but not half assed at the same time.
I really want my car's paint to look like this one, but I don't know how the name (not actual name, but the paint job name) for it and how much it costs.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/847000-847999/847552_68_full.jpg
(Sorry if outside links aren't allowed, just warn me >.<)

Thank You. -Harris

P.S.- Is Maaco a good place to get my car painted? Sorry, I'm stupid when it comes to cars, but I'll learn.

Last edited:

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
just add the tag [ IMG]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...52_68_full.jpg[/IMG] to post the pix... :beer:

MAACO sux.... their paint is ok, but the amount of prepping they do is minimal.... the general rule is that prepping time > painting time.... if the shop takes time to properly sand the car down and mask off everything nicely, the job would come out cleaner... ask around for price quote.... btw, the car looks like some sort of apple candy color

talontsiawd

Reaction score
When looking at paint shops, really take to the time to see what's out their. Paint can often be done for $1500 or less for a better than oem job, some shops may charge up to $4000 for something not that out of the ordinary. On the contrary, some shops will be much less than that but the results might be up to your standards. Worse, it may start to peal, especially on urathane parts, after a short amount of time and you are stuck repainting it.

Anyway, defineatly do some research in your area. Talk to people who have had their car painted and find out their experience. Go to shops to first get estimates but secondly try to observe some cars, what caliber of cars, etc are around and how the finished cars look.

Macco is pretty much known for poor quality. BUT, it is franchised so some will be better than others. Some are actually good. This is always a great deal as they still go off a standard pricing system. But it's rare, if you have one in your area, you can get a great deal but most likely, you should skip it.

dynasty

Reaction score
Maaco is popular for painting but their price is too much. quality is okay but the price is way too much for the paint. hate to say it but my friend, he had his car painted for $300-$350 and the paint is actually good. it's a basic color though, not like any two tone, special color. basically it's a color that OEM uses. what i'm trying to say is, it could be as cheap as $300 to get a car fully painted or over $1000. i personally think, if the paint is over $1000, they must take your engine off and paint the inside of the engine also. other than that, good luck with looking around the shop.

btw, the shop that my friend got for $300 is from Oklahoma. it's a local store. it's called Performance Auto Paint and Collision so i'm not sure if they have them in other states.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
also things that affect price is how thorough you want the full paint job to be. as in, if you want the insides of the door jams, the trunk, under the hood, etc to also be painted to match.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
i personally think, if the paint is over $1000, they must take your engine off and paint the inside of the engine also.

I don't know, around here you are lucky to get an oem job for $1000 without painting the bay (or sometimes even the jams). That would be for average body work. Any reputable shop around here would charge probably around $1000 to pull the motor and paint the bay. If i were going to paint my car today, i would expect to pay around $300 in just materials. I guess it all depends on what your expectations are, and where you live as well.

yellowfever

Reaction score
maaco did my brothes car and it was half stripped off a year later and the same maaco did my friends car and it came out beautiful and still is. if your gonna go to a bodyshop/paintplace just ask to see there work but if your gonna go to maaco use this trick. Get your appointment with there first or second package(i forget which but both are pretty cheap) once there tell the counter help that you want to talk to the person painting your car so you can tell/ask them a few things once you meet them tell them that there a 100$ in the glovebox for them and you want a proper job, its still a lil risky but ive heard many many happy endings with this trick.

Back