QUICK QUESTION!!! Please answer :)

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Hey so I’m having my mechanic do my lower ball joint today, and was wondering how hard would it be for him to pull out the old axle and put a new one in since the hub is going to be off anyways right ? Or is it something I can do when he walks away ? Just yank the old axle out and put the new one in ?? Is it as simple as that or does he need to loosen more things ?

Simkid5614

Reaction score
The hub isnt technically off, just eh ball joint. to replace the axle you;d need to remove the Tie rod, Strut, Upper control, Brakes, The axle nut, CV axle, then replace the seal to prevent leaks. It's not worth it unless it;s giving you problems.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Yeah my passenger side axle is blown again =/ autozone lifetime warranty ftw ? Anyways. From what I've seen, you have to remove the whole hub in order to get the lower ball joint pressed in.

001Stunna

Reaction score
The hub isnt technically off, just eh ball joint. to replace the axle you;d need to remove the Tie rod, Strut, Upper control, Brakes, The axle nut, CV axle, then replace the seal to prevent leaks. It's not worth it unless it;s giving you problems.

He is going to have to loosen the axle nut anyways and pull the axle from the hub or else how in gods name is the ball joint coming out??
The extra work needed is nowhere as to whats mentioned above. It would be just to remove the lower fork to be able to fit the axle CV boot through and that's all. Pull old axle out, put new one in, make sure not to fudge the seal.

Last edited:

chaby_91

Reaction score
yeah you need to remove the whole knuckle to remove the ball joint. the axle shaft is about one bolt away and .. about that seal... not sure what you guys are talking about.. I've remove my axles like 3 times and nothing ever happened..

is your axle broken? The car doesnt move?

001Stunna

Reaction score
yeah you need to remove the whole knuckle to remove the ball joint. the axle shaft is about one bolt away and .. about that seal... not sure what you guys are talking about.. I've remove my axles like 3 times and nothing ever happened..

is your axle broken? The car doesnt move?

No, you do not need to remove the whole knuckle to do lower ball joints. It's simply ... wheels off; spindle nut off; lower ball joint nut off; use a pickle fork or hit the lower arm to the side where the ball joint is to break it loose from the lbj; push the axle off and out to the side and use your press to pop the ball joint off; then simply work in reverse to install the new one.

From here to also replace an axle...one would also have to remove the strut lower fork so the boot can fit through.

As for the seals mentioned, if they've never been changed it's one of those things where you don't exactly get into every time(unless you snap axles monthly)...so when you do might as well freshen up the seals.

Back