Rear Main Seal Leak.... anyone had this?

speedracered

Reaction score
I have an oil leak, and i believe its coming from the rear main seal. :bash::bash::bash:

And i know its a pretty tough DIY, due to getting in the tranny.

has anyone had theirs fixed by the dealership or any other repair shop?
and how much did it end up costing.

thanks

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I never had to repair one, since I always had it replaced when I changed clutches. Are you automatic? You can replace one QRT of oil with Lucas oil stabilizer to slow the leak down a bit.

It's a pretty expensive repair, If I were you. I'd make certain where the leak is coming from before you take it to a shop. That way they cannot say it's the rear main seal when it was something else and then they screw you for more money.

If you are mechanically inclined, buy a haynes manual. Borrow your friends shop or tools and get on it.

speedracered

Reaction score
I never had to repair one, since I always had it replaced when I changed clutches. Are you automatic? You can replace one QRT of oil with Lucas oil stabilizer to slow the leak down a bit.

It's a pretty expensive repair, If I were you. I'd make certain where the leak is coming from before you take it to a shop. That way they cannot say it's the rear main seal when it was something else and then they screw you for more money.

If you are mechanically inclined, buy a haynes manual. Borrow your friends shop or tools and get on it.

Yea, I have an automatic. I cant locate where the leak is coming from, but it looks like its from the transmission area. so thats what i am assumming, I will take a look again to see where the leak is coming from.

Im pretty mechanically inclined, but opening up the tranny, is a B____

thanks for the reply

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
You could be leaking tranny fluid. I was leaking tranny fluid from my axle shaft, the O ring seemed it got worn out and fell off, it was leaking abit. It was hard to source the leak because, it would travel all the way around the tranny and then drip on the ground. This is when I was automatic
before I did my swap.

Sometimes, people mistake dirty tranny fluid for oil. Smell the fluid, you can tell if its tranny fluid, because it smells very toxic lol. If it does happen to be a main seal, by the seal from the dealer. It's worth it, also check your axles for any worn out or split boots. Since your in there, you might as well replace anything else that looks old or bad. GOODLUCK!

Last edited:

XxESKIMOxX

Reaction score
i think i have one of those leaks too. my mechanic said its 2-3 hundred dollars. so i didnt fix it or at least not yet since it is still minor

speedracered

Reaction score
i think i have one of those leaks too. my mechanic said its 2-3 hundred dollars. so i didnt fix it or at least not yet since it is still minor

how much oil are you losing? Ill do it instantly if its that price. haha..

H-town_Ryda_06

Reaction score
well check your dipsticks to see if your low on oil or transmition fluid... mine rear main seal was leaking and i had to pay like $300 but thats cuz i went ahead and paid for a bunch of other gaskets so i wouldnt have to worry bout them and do it again...

i could have done the work myself but its alot faster having a shop take care of it since its my DD and i cant afford too much down time incase something goes wrong......

finch13

Reaction score
Use Honda OEM gaskets as well, sucks having to pay for the same job twice. And make sure they seal the plate holding the seal in with Hondabond or Permatex.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score

I don't know about anyone else here, but I don't consider an oil leak a "minor" problem. I'd get it fixed ASAP.

Back