Recharging A/C

Reaction score
If the gauge says that it is in the red before you start charging, then you have a blockage in the system. If you have a high side adapter, then check the high side and see what that says... If they are both off the charts, then take it into the shop so they can find where the blockage is at...usually at the dryer.

There are the two dfferent nozzles on your A/C setup. The high side and the low side. The low side is the one that provides suction for your freon. You can follow the compressor from the right side of you engine and one hose goes down into the front bumper cover and the other follows around the exhaust manifold and under your intake pipe. It's usually identified by a blue cap, and the high side is a black cap. Make sure you have your a/c on full blast and full cold. I'll see if i can post any pics on how to do this.

xi0utlawstarix

Reaction score
i have the ac recharge kit and took the following readings:
1. Engine is off around 80 psi
2. Engine is on with ac set to coldest n max (compressor/fans NOT on) around 55psi
3. Compressor/fans on under 25 psi

so do i need a recharge??

also i have never had the ac service since i bought the car in 99

Last edited:
Reaction score
i have the ac recharge kit and took the following readings:
1. Engine is off around 80 psi
2. Engine is on with ac set to coldest n max (compressor/fans NOT on) around 55psi
3. Compressor/fans on under 25 psi

so do i need a recharge??

also i have never had the ac service since i bought the car in 99

Check your gauge when you're recharging. It should have a proper pressure chart either on the gauge or the paperwork that came with it. I think 35 psi is around the right area.

You need to listen to your engine and the a/c compressor. Always have the fan on high and the temperature full blast cold. You may see a spike initially in pressure but it will fall down until you get to a starting point. Then work your way up from there. Be careful that once you're getting your pressure up, do not go over 50 psi. over 50 psi and you can do seriuos damage to your compressor or worse.

There's a sticker somewhere on the car that will give you the amount of freon your system is meant to hold. I am at work, so I can't find it on my car at the moment, but I think it's on the radiator.

It takes some getting use to but now I'm skipping the boarder to Illiniois and getting about a dozen cans at a time and recharging in Madison for about $40 a car.

Enjoy!

tnguyen600

Reaction score
whats better..taking it to honda to get recharged or buying those recharge kits at autozone? I got mixed reviews about both. some say that buyin the self recharging kits..your a/c system won't be the same again and that you'll recharge more often as opposed to going to honda to get it recharged. opinions?

Tx_Accord98

Reaction score
whats better..taking it to honda to get recharged or buying those recharge kits at autozone? I got mixed reviews about both. some say that buyin the self recharging kits..your a/c system won't be the same again and that you'll recharge more often as opposed to going to honda to get it recharged. opinions?

If you recharge often, then you got a leak. You will need to take it to a a/c service center.

Back