retro, wiring harness fixed. [closed]

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Re: Wiring harness is a POS, need help with RETRO

You need to have a relay switch between the positive battery wire and the positive wire coming from your headlight switch. Also you need a fuse.

But it sounds like you crossed negative and positive, try switching it up.

Give us some visual stimulation if you can, it will help us diagnose the problem with ur harness.

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score

Damn, sorry to hear about your bad experience. Fried ballasts get expensive, I wouldn't recommend installing harnesses without being 100% sure of what you're doing.

mista jc

Reaction score

On my oem harness the positive is burnt out. (left side if you're looking directly at it) Also on the harness, the black wire was burnt out. So I'm guessing I plugged that in backwards.

If I tried to turn on my headlights by clicking them on, would that have fried my ballasts? Because I did

HondaLuver83

Reaction score

On my oem harness the positive is burnt out. (left side if you're looking directly at it) Also on the harness, the black wire was burnt out. So I'm guessing I plugged that in backwards.

If I tried to turn on my headlights by clicking them on, would that have fried my ballasts? Because I did

I am not sure, it should have fried a fuse before the ballast. You have headlight fuses where your headlight relays are. Try plugging it in reverse of what you did before. You should try experimenting with something else besides ur ballast, try using a halogen bulb or something to see if u can get it to light up. Its less expensive.

Last edited:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score

Hooked up to the positive and negative terminals and the whole harness freaking started smoking like a chimney.

If I plug negative first, then positive, will that affect the installation?
did you hook up the ballasts first, then reconnect the battery?

where did the smoke come from? just that one wire?

headlight polarity on the 9006 plugs dont matter, so that eliminates that. unless...the wires are touching inside the female (harness side) plug...

doesnt matter which polarity is hooked up first on the battery...its just more dangerous to hook the ground up first cause then your positively-charged wrench turns into a giant conductor and if you hit your fender with it...well...

no electricity should be going to the ballasts unless the headlight switch inside the car is "on" cause thats what the relay is doing. if the fuse didnt blow (as in...there was a crossed wire or short at or near the ballast) then it could take a ballast down. dont ask me how i know that...

mista jc

Reaction score

Okay, went to see my honda tech today.

Apparently, the guy who made my wiring harness is a complete dumbass when it comes to labeling the positive and negative leads.

We went further back towards the relay and fuses, then we saw red wiring which indicated I did it backwards.

!!!! If I tried turning on my headlights with the negative and positives in the wrong terminals, did that FRY my ballasts?!

It seems like I need a new 9006 OEM harness because the wires melted together slightly.
The wiring harness is repairable if you go back down the wire, cut some and start over taking off the shrink wrap.

As far as the relay goes, that might also need to be replaced.

All I'm worried about is finding a used 9006 harness and replacing both ballasts.. :squintfinger:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score

it MIGHT have cooked the ballasts...wait until you have replaced the cheap stuff before worrying about them.

share who made the harness? :coffee:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score

ahhhh

keep us posted on how everything goes

Back