Rough Idle, Stalling, Blinking Engine Light, and Hard Starts

Go!

Reaction score
EDIT: Check my most recent post for an update on the situation, thank you!

This might be close to the end of my 2001 Accord. It has an array of problems that I feel like are going to be an expensive fix. I don't know if they are so I am going to give you all the details right now, and if you have any help or ideas of what it might be, I would greatly appreciate it. 225k miles, btw.

When I try to start it, it reluctantly wants to start and usually takes a few seconds to start. Once it does start, the RPM gauge sits down to around 500-700 rpm with a VERY rough idle.

When I get driving it is fine, but once I stop @ a red light, the RPM dips again and rough idle starts. This is when my check engine light starts blinking at me until its green and I press the gas pedal.

Those are the main issues, but there is also one more. After I have driven to my destination, park, and turn off the car, If I go back to turn on the car within an hour (ie while its still warm from driving??) It will be VERY hard to start and dies on me once I do get it started. On the chance that it does start and I can through it into reverse, it dies if I dont floor the gas to get RPMs up.

TLDR; Do you know a fix to a very rough idle where it dips the RPMs so low the car dies?

Thanks friends!!:)

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
No check engine light?

Ign must work, it keeps running
iacv-prolly-works, it works later

Suspicious:
sensor effected by heat, the wrong way
Egr, it likes to stick

RawCarnage

Reaction score
isn't flashing check engine light missfires?
Anyways first thing you should do is go check what is the reason the light is flashing by plugging it into a odb2 scanner. Your local autozone will check it for free.
Also when was the last time you did a tune up?
Could be something as simple as that, new spark plugs, new spark plug wires and distributor cap with rotor. If you can take off the distributor cap see if there is any corrosion on the prongs. Next check the wires(any breaks in the cable or burn marks, ect) and the spark plugs.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Oh, my bad, a flashing light.

That indicates misfire, I guess egr doesn't close completely. Remove, clean, then check codes if the prob stays.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Cleaning it lets it close, because it probly sticks open.

Open causes a vac leak

a vac leak causes more air, that it can't 'see', so don't get more fuel, so it 'misfires'

Last edited:

Go!

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm gonna watch the video and check out online guides on how to clean the EGR. I'll get back to y'all in a few hours to tell ya if it fixed it!

Varnell

Reaction score
Easy to do. I cleaned the EGR port in my 4cyl. It had a rough idle for a while, but I never got around to correcting it until it stalled a few times at low RPMs. The check engine light flashed a few times, but hasn't done it since. It still idles a little rough and I suspect the IAC valve.

Go!

Reaction score
So I tried to take off the bolts on the valve and they wont budge. Any advice on how to get the bolts off when they are stuck?

Back