RR's '99 coupe EX-L

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
mirror looks good.

yeah my paint is just as bad. there's actually an area on the roof where you can see the primer. dunno how the paint thinned out that much

What color was the primer?

I have always waxed it once a year but last year I didn't, and I'm thinking that may have expedited things.

You should really invest in a daily driver after all the work that has went into this thing. I'll tell you, it seems impractical at first and the hassle of driving back to your house if you wanted to switch cars, but wow it's nice. Having something that you don't care if people ding up in parking lots, leave it parked where you want, drive it in whatever the weather throws your way. etc... It's such a nice feeling.

A 3rd car would be nice, when I've had rentals it felt so nice to not have to worry about anything. Used to feel that way even with our Cobalt, however the Venza I treat like the Accord. But I don't have a place to keep a 3rd car garaged so in the winter I'd have to scrape the windows, and I'm not crazy about having to keep up and insure another car.

As for the pant/detailing situation, you might be able to save it for now. Not indefinitely, but for a bit longer. You can compound it and possibly paint seal it where the clear is failing. Where the paint is starting to dull, you can probably compound that and bring it back up. I can bring my DA to the meet and see if it can do anything for you. If it can't, it won't harm your paint.
I appreciate the advice but body work is just one area I don't have much patience for. Really the car needs a good shop to pull the few dents, cut out the rust in rear wheel well and weld new metal, and repaint it. If I still have this thing after several more years I'd like to have that done and get it looking brand new.

Mikey

Reaction score
Just recently noticed mine going grey up top as well. I always hoped to avoid the dreaded DEP fade but alas, it has happened.

Pardie

Reaction score
I have been dealing with clear coat fade for years now. Trying to find a place to paint my car without charging an arm and a leg is next to impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Just recently noticed mine going grey up top as well. I always hoped to avoid the dreaded DEP fade but alas, it has happened.

Me too. I thought waxing it every year would keep it protected, and it did for a long while. Part of me thinks going a year without waxing it messed things up, but maybe this was bound to happen regardless.

Ah k, I don't see any grey. I actually have what looks like red primer.

I have been dealing with clear coat fade for years now. Trying to find a place to paint my car without charging an arm and a leg is next to impossible.

If I was going to get it resprayed, I'd be planning to spend around $3k. A good job where they fix the body, take off all the trim, etc wouldn't be cheap. You could always take your chances with Maaco. Or you could wrap the car if you've got it in you.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Installed some new sidemarkers. Been trying to find a 3" COB strip to put in there but only finding 2+3/8" so far.

WP_20160627_19_45_36_Pro.jpg

Driver side mirror is on. Nice to have matching mirrors again lol.

WP_20160627_21_18_45_Pro.jpg

WP_20160627_21_17_59_Pro.jpg

Now I just have to figure out what wires to de-pin from the factory mirror connector and where to put them in the PFM switch. Then it's a matter of running the wires for the motor and heating elements.

604ACCORD

Reaction score
Mirrors look awesome! I love how clean your car is.. I think that hood would go very well with your car.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Thanks. Got me looking for hoods yesterday, I think I like this Duraflex Spy2 the best. Problem is it's fiberglass so it'd take a lot of work to get it looking good. And it doesn't look like you can use the factory hood latch with it, and I'm not a fan of hood pins.

s-l225.jpg

s-l225.jpg

s-l225.jpg

Found a couple on CL too, one of them was the Vis Xtreme GT hood, and already painted SMR. But I want something more subtle/less gaudy haha. The other is some CF aftermarket hood, waiting on pics.

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
WP_20160627_19_45_36_Pro.jpg

So, the new sidemarkers look like the one in your hand?

3" will fit, what size is the OEM one?

I ask because I was going to use the same ones I had on the Accord, but I like the look of the one in your hand.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
It wasn't until I looked on the back of them that I realized they were DEPO. Yea I like the brighter, clearer red and it matches the tail light tint better. And I think these just look a little more modern. No reflector anymore but oh well.

Anyway they are actually for 94-97 Accords but those, the 94-02 Prelude, and the 6GA coupe all use the same sidemarker.

Back