Scary noise during hard acceleration

bRaZEn_407

Reaction score
Hey all. My '02 156k V6 is having a strange problem. I get a terrible, almost grinding sound during hard acceleration.. Only happens in 1st gear, and only in the higher RPM's, (I'd say 4k+). The sound appears to be coming from the front passenger area. Sounds like it could be something in the hub/brake system, something in the suspension, or even something in the lower part of that side of the engine bay. It's hard to describe the sound but it sounds like something is spinning, and is experiencing a lot of friction. The sound is extremely concerning.

The car is completely fine if I drive normal. No weird noises or feelings, haven't even noticed anything strange during "more spirited" cornering. I'm completely stuck. My car is mostly stock mechanically, the wheels, and coils were there long before the noise started occurring.

Thanks in advance.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Do you hear it while accelerating, or when you let off? Is it a scraping, squealing, high-pitched/low-pitched, etc? Does it cause you to feel any vibration?

bRaZEn_407

Reaction score
Do you hear it while accelerating, or when you let off? Is it a scraping, squealing, high-pitched/low-pitched, etc? Does it cause you to feel any vibration?

Only directly while accelerating, it stops the moment I let off. It's a low-pitched scraping noise. And vibration yes, but is very minimal.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Any scoring in your rotors? Do they get hot easily? Uneven pad wear? I’d take the wheel off at the corner you think the sound is coming from and inspect the brakes and suspension. Check to make sure everything is tight. Doesn’t sound typical of an axle or wheel bearing going bad. And you didn’t mention the car pulling one direction or the other.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Also, before you take the wheel off, jacked up, try to move the wheel around.

Hands @ 12:00 & 6:00, then 9:00 & 3:00

bRaZEn_407

Reaction score
Any scoring in your rotors? Do they get hot easily? Uneven pad wear? I’d take the wheel off at the corner you think the sound is coming from and inspect the brakes and suspension. Check to make sure everything is tight. Doesn’t sound typical of an axle or wheel bearing going bad. And you didn’t mention the car pulling one direction or the other.

Car is definitely not pulling to one side. I broke it all down early this morning brakes are fine. Suspension also looks ok. Found a bad motor mount when I got under the car though, can't believe I didn't notice it. It doesn't clunk the firewall when accelerating from a stand still like I'm used to with bad motor mounts.

Also, before you take the wheel off, jacked up, try to move the wheel around.

Hands @ 12:00 & 6:00, then 9:00 & 3:00

Thanks for quick reply, I tried that this morning What was I supposed to be looking for?

Perhaps a damaged motor/transmission mount causing movement leading to rubbing?

I'm almost positive that you're right sir. I got under the car when I was looking at the top part of the engine bay this morning. I pushed myself off the engine to get back up and noticed a slight sway. I suspected a bad mount immediately and had my mom come out and rev the car in neutral for me while I watched the bay. The mount in front nearest to the front bumper is dead.

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Cool, fyi, what you are looking for, as you wiggle back and forth, is a 'knock-knock' feeling or sound.

It finds a worn bushing or joint. I do it every time I lift the car. Kind a habit.

Back