Spare Tire Question?

sweagle02

Reaction score
As some of you cats may know, I'm looking to upgrade to some 18's very soon and I completely overlooked the fact that if I get a flat (God forbid), how will the car roll to the nearest garage on three 18" tires and one 15" "donut".

If some of you guys with 17's, 18's or 19's have gotten flat before and have had to use the OEM Spare (donut), how have you guys gone about it? Is it even safe to drive the car like that even if it's to the nearest garage? Some insight please. Thanks guys :beer:

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would get a spare thats pretty close to wut ur riding on. im on 16's so my 15' spare would be okay lol. :thumbup:

sodaks2k

Reaction score
Since the rolling diameter of your aftermarket wheels is (should be) the same as/close to stock, driving on a spare per the instructions shouldn't matter.

sweagle02

Reaction score
Since the rolling diameter of your aftermarket wheels is (should be) the same as/close to stock, driving on a spare per the instructions shouldn't matter.

well that does make sense but wouldn't a three inch difference in wheel height make a significant difference?

finch13

Reaction score
I have a full size steelie in the trunk... it makes the trunk mat sit about an inch higher, but it's worth having a full size, full speed tire for a spare. Donuts aren't supposed to be driven over 55mph or over 50 miles.

Also, you should not put a donut on the front. Having different sized tires in the front does all sorts of weird things to the differential and what not. So, if you get a flat up front, put a donut on the rear and bring that rear tire up front.

sodaks2k

Reaction score
well that does make sense but wouldn't a three inch difference in wheel height make a significant difference?

your side walls are not 65 are they?

What he said. If the rolling diameter is similar then it doesn't matter what your wheel size is. As finch13 stated though, don't drive with a spare up front if you can help it.

sweagle02

Reaction score
I have a full size steelie in the trunk... it makes the trunk mat sit about an inch higher, but it's worth having a full size, full speed tire for a spare. Donuts aren't supposed to be driven over 55mph or over 50 miles.

Also, you should not put a donut on the front. Having different sized tires in the front does all sorts of weird things to the differential and what not. So, if you get a flat up front, put a donut on the rear and bring that rear tire up front.

Thanks for the info Mr. Finch. You do have 18" wheels don't you? So you carry a 15" steelie as opposed to a donut, is that correct?

Fuzz

Reaction score
Yea, he carries a 15" wheel. I keep one of my winter tires in the trunk (mounted on the steels). As long as you go with a 225/40R18" tire, then your spare tire will be around the same size... but like Finch said...

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER put a Spare Tire on the FRONT. Not so much the Differential since we dont have Diffs in the Accord, but because you should never have a small temp. spare on your STEERING Wheels.

sweagle02

Reaction score
Yea, he carries a 15" wheel. I keep one of my winter tires in the trunk (mounted on the steels). As long as you go with a 225/40R18" tire, then your spare tire will be around the same size... but like Finch said...

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER put a Spare Tire on the FRONT. Not so much the Differential since we dont have Diffs in the Accord, but because you should never have a small temp. spare on your STEERING Wheels.

When I get the 18's I'm going with 225/40R18 tires so would my stock 15" tire be find to use as a quick replacement?

Back