Spark Plug wires & distributor not needed?

inv4zn

Reaction score
So I was looking at some tune-up threads, and the basic tune-ups were air filter, spark plugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor...

So I went down to the auto store, and they tell me that 2000 V6's and above don't have wires or distributors. I didn't feel like arguing so I came home, but is that true?

How does it work then? The hayne's manual shows a picture of the V6 engine bay with wires, but it doesn't specify which year...

Also, the guy recommended NGK 'LASER' Platinum, which are supposedly better than Iridium, and of course platinum. They're 15$ (cdn) per plug and the iridiums are 10$ per...which should I get?

Thanks

inv4zn

Reaction score
There's not much info on them -- what i gathered is that they crank up the voltage to create the sparks, but not much info on where they are, how theyre placed in our engines, etc.

Can you elaborate for the sake of education?

juicebox00

Reaction score
There's not much info on them -- what i gathered is that they crank up the voltage to create the sparks, but not much info on where they are, how theyre placed in our engines, etc.

Can you elaborate for the sake of education?

lol, i'll try. all i know(i think) is that you don't need wires, just plugs. and i think they go into the packs which are those 3 black "D" shaped things on the valve covers.

What it is exactly:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061215231205AA3sHGH

How to replace it:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2039160_change-coil-pack-car.html

inv4zn

Reaction score
lol does it need to be replaced at intervals? They're supposed to last longer than distributors, right?

lol didn't even know such things existed until today lol

juicebox00

Reaction score
lol does it need to be replaced at intervals? They're supposed to last longer than distributors, right?

lol didn't even know such things existed until today lol

i'm not quite sure...lol. i believe you should change the plugs like every 20k or w/e it is like you're supposed to but i don't believe the coil packs them selves need to be changed. I've blown up 2 but that was because the plugs weren't right for my car and were we past time to be replaced. Just throw some NGK Iridums in there and you'll be good. Oh, and don't for get to do the whole thing where you create the right distance on the part of the plug to get the proper spark length.

Last edited:

inv4zn

Reaction score
Sweet, thanks-

The NGK site sais the 'Laser Platinums' are OEM spec for the J30 engine...and they list 4 types: V Power, G Power, Laser Platinum, and Iridium IX...

Price wise, the Laser Platinums are highest, which leads me to believe they're the best, but that might not be true...lol

I can just use the (slightly) cheaper Iridiums as you've mentioned? Or should i just cough up some more for the OEM spec ones

dtraill27

Reaction score
if you get the iridiums youll be fine. i just changed mine last weekend and thats what i used. they dont have to be changed often the first recommended change is at 100k so i wont be changing mine again for a while although it is very easy

and yeah there is no need to change the wires or distributor because there is no distributor lol

Back