stock rims (steelies)

cg6boi

Reaction score
for the caps you dont really needa sand anything just use a primer paint first, do a couple coats to get everything nice and even then go over with the paint you wanna use.....i did that to paint my rims and it should be the same for the plastic.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
xluben said:
is there any hope:

hubcap004Small.jpg

its just surface rust, its not really "killing" the wheel, itll practically wipe off. that thing in the center thats yellow, is supossed to be that way, so its fine. you deff shouldnt paint the wheels while still on the car, youll ruin the brake rotors.

xluben

Reaction score
cg6boi said:
for the caps you dont really needa sand anything just use a primer paint first, do a couple coats to get everything nice and even then go over with the paint you wanna use.....i did that to paint my rims and it should be the same for the plastic.

yeah, i thought the chipping around the edges of mine would be noticeable through the paint.

my buddy and it sanded two of them all the way down. took over an hour of hand sanding.

for the second two we just smoothed out the trouble spots.

i sprayed a few coats of black and a few coats of clear on them, and the ones we sanded thw whole thing actually look worse.

but overall they look alright. i think once i get them back on they'll look better than before.

Sketch o5 said:
its just surface rust, its not really "killing" the wheel, itll practically wipe off. that thing in the center thats yellow, is supossed to be that way, so its fine. you deff shouldnt paint the wheels while still on the car, youll ruin the brake rotors.

should i use a wire brush or something to remove the rust?

what if i masked off the tire and everthing behind the rim (plugged all the holes)? then could i paint them while on the car?

are all the wheels supposed to have the yellow cap? the back two have them and the front two don't.

xluben

Reaction score
hubcap008Small.jpg

hubcap012Small.jpg

pretty much what i expected. hopefully they look alright on the car.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
xluben said:
yeah, i thought the chipping around the edges of mine would be noticeable through the paint.

my buddy and it sanded two of them all the way down. took over an hour of hand sanding.

for the second two we just smoothed out the trouble spots.

i sprayed a few coats of black and a few coats of clear on them, and the ones we sanded thw whole thing actually look worse.

but overall they look alright. i think once i get them back on they'll look better than before.

should i use a wire brush or something to remove the rust?

what if i masked off the tire and everthing behind the rim (plugged all the holes)? then could i paint them while on the car?

are all the wheels supposed to have the yellow cap? the back two have them and the front two don't.

yea, a wire brush would work fine, or maybe even a steel wool pad thing, haha. honestly, the best way to paint the rims would be to take them off the car. i would never suggest painting rims while on a car. about the cap thing, its cuz you have an LX which has rear drum brakes (im sure?) and thats why the fronts dont have those yellow caps. im not sure exactly what theyre fuction is, but theyre supossed to be there. they have something to do with the hub, i think its most likely a dust shield.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
its a crap cap for the wheel bearings to keep junk out. you dont have the same look in the front cause of the axle :thumbsup:

Back