Strange clutch behavior

njmodi

Reaction score
2002 Accord 4-dr EX-L 4-cyl (obviously 5spd since I have a clutch question).

When the car has been sitting overnight, the clutch pedal is really hard to press and also feels springy/spongy all the way to the floor, rather than having the normal feel of firmness up until the midpoint an then more free movement to the floor.

I have checked the master and slave cylinders and there are no leaks outside or on bell housing nor on the floorpan/under carpet.

The problem goes away after some driving and then returns after the car has been sitting again. So it definitely seems to be related to fluid temperature.

I know it could be the master/slave clutch cylinders, but I'm trying to understand also (as part of having a definitive diagnosis) as to HOW the symptoms I have could be caused by one/both cylinders being bad?

I don't like throwing parts at the car without also understanding cause/effect.

My theory is that when the fluid gets hotter, the seals in the master cylinder are expanding just enough to seal properly and this is why the behavior changes after a bit of driving.

I don't understand why the pedal pressure is increasing under cold starts though...if fluid was leaking past the seal, I would expect the pedal to feel soft.

Thanks for any thoughts/theories/discussion.

Snoobly

Reaction score
weird. Just throwin some more ideas out there, but could it be old/dirty fluid? Has it always done this or is it just starting to do it recently? Everything seem to shift okay still?

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
do a bleed of your brake system, if the problem persists you should replace both the master and slave since they probably need replacement anyway

njmodi

Reaction score
I will do a fluid change. I haven't changed it at least for the past 50k that I have owned the car (3 years)... It's simple enough to do and overdue.

If that fails - I was planning on replacing both cylinders.

Thank you to both of you for your help. I appreciate it :)

IllCG301

Reaction score
Im going throught the same problem now yours is just the begining soon your car will stall out everytime its in gear its the even when ypur foot is on the clutch. Mine came out of know where also one day it was driving great the next day it was driving bad so but im changeing my slave cylinder tomorrow ill let you know how that goes

Back