Stranger Transmission Promblem

99HonAccord

Reaction score
What's up Guys, Well today I get in my car 99 Honda Accord 4 cyl. 178,000. As I put the car into drive the car HIT HARD!! Felt like the car had no motor mounts and was just held by bolts it was a hard hit. So I put the car in park turn off the car. My heart drops as I'm praying its not the trans. I turn it back on and put it into drive and it went into gear hard more then a Thump noise. Then i decided to just drive it to see if it even drives. As the car goes to shift gears it feels like the transmission is shot. It felt as the car didnt know when to shift and then when it grabbed the gear it was a hard hit as if the transmission was slipping. I go back and park the car and left it alone by this time I'm paranoid like a mofo. A hour later I decide to go back and check my car, and it was fine it didn't slip it didn't go into gear hard, and drove just perfectly fine. I've never had a problem with the transmission or felt like it was going to go. My past experience you get signs here and there when something going to mess up but not like this out of the blue. I don't beat on the car I drive it to the speed limit so I just need someones input maybe someone has gone through this.

001Stunna

Reaction score
What's up Guys, Well today I get in my car 99 Honda Accord 4 cyl. 178,000. As I put the car into drive the car HIT HARD!! Felt like the car had no motor mounts and was just held by bolts it was a hard hit. So I put the car in park turn off the car. My heart drops as I'm praying its not the trans. I turn it back on and put it into drive and it went into gear hard more then a Thump noise. Then i decided to just drive it to see if it even drives. As the car goes to shift gears it feels like the transmission is shot. It felt as the car didnt know when to shift and then when it grabbed the gear it was a hard hit as if the transmission was slipping. I go back and park the car and left it alone by this time I'm paranoid like a mofo. A hour later I decide to go back and check my car, and it was fine it didn't slip it didn't go into gear hard, and drove just perfectly fine. I've never had a problem with the transmission or felt like it was going to go. My past experience you get signs here and there when something going to mess up but not like this out of the blue. I don't beat on the car I drive it to the speed limit so I just need someones input maybe someone has gone through this.

Where you parked in an incline without your parking brake on?(hence causing the strain on the tranny to hold the car)

I'd say check tranny fluid, replace it if it smells dark or burnt. Check that there is no plugs that have somehow wiggled themselves loose.
...pray that it was just a weird issue.

99HonAccord

Reaction score
My transmission fluid is where It's suppose to be and the color. I was parked in a incline but i always use my parking brake It's always been a habit.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Something doesn’t add up…it makes no sense that it would drive terribly with severe problems, then all of a sudden everything is fine after letting it sit for a bit. If it were the mounts or transmission, they would be a consistent problem, and very noticeable.

10secvtec

Reaction score
Something doesn’t add up…it makes no sense that it would drive terribly with severe problems, then all of a sudden everything is fine after letting it sit for a bit. If it were the mounts or transmission, they would be a consistent problem, and very noticeable.

what about the transmission sensors ive changed mine a few times!?

SomethingRandom

Reaction score

In the best of my experience, when one of the transmission sensors fails you get a CEL and the D4 (if automatic) light starts flashing + you have to manually shift it between gears, check them though, just physically check the plugs, I had the linear A/B one fail cause something worked its way into the engine bay and actually broke one of the connectors right off the main solenoid body. (to date it still mystifies me, but there was an impact mark and a clean break)

Hope this helps a bit

NibX18

Reaction score
I got a similar problem but its not that bad, it is constant though, every other shift my tranny makes a small~medium hit and the mounts are new, i'm thinking maybe a solenoid causes this problem

99HonAccord

Reaction score
2s806c3.jpg

Today, I decided to just change my oil and drain my transmission fluid and fill it with honda trans fluid. The hole day today the car has been fine. Once It was time for me to go home from work I threw the car into drive and it wasn't smooth as it usually is. The transmission always made this low noise sounds when throwing it to drive...sound more or like when your putting the car into gear in a manuel car, but it never made my car shift different or anything. Its just weird. All this happened after simply installing some HID with a relay to my foglights then all of this just starts happening. (not saying the HID caused this) Edit: I did get shocked while installing the HIDs and it wasn't your normal little sting zap this thing made my fingers hurt for about a hours and my body felt funny for a while lol.

Thats exactly what i was thinking it maybe was but I dont know and i heard those sensors are pretty expensive.

Last edited:
Back