stripped lower power steering nut

camjohns

Reaction score
2000 honda accord 3.0 ex

As i started in to do the timing belt, i found the lower bolt on the power steering pump to be stripped and unable to be loosened. I attempted with a 12mm socket with no luck as it just had no bite, i tried smaller, but would not fit. So now im stuck and trying to figure out what the next step is. The 2 upper bolts came off fine with no issue.

What options do i have as it is a tight space and is pretty difficult to get anything in their to bite it?

can the other side of the bolt be accessed with the removal of the intake manifold? or is that built in?

thanks for the help!

james'99

Reaction score
I have a 4 cyl but let me see if I can help you. Have you tried an SAE socket that is about 12 mm? You might also try buying ez-outs for bolts from sears or harbor freight. can you send a picture of what you are looking at?

camjohns

Reaction score
Ya so i have not tried SAE size, when i was working on it, and i tried some ez-out extractor but the socket is too big to get it on the nut. Its a pretty tight space.

my wife has the car for the day, but the video i was referencing for this project shows it from the 14 min mark to the 15 min mark. Hopefully you can see and get an idea of how tight the space is.

the video link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEg9_OCas_w

camjohns

Reaction score
Re: stripped lower power steering nut Solved

Ended up very carefully taking a dremel with cutting tool and cut the nut off, bought new bolt nut and small o ring.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Good work, I'm sure it was frustrating enough the nut was stripped but then also to be in a tight space. :gr_guns:

Back