Sub/Amp Combo Quad-lemma

ChrisPuh_Gone

Reaction score
I'm currently running a Kenwood KAC-9105D mono amp to two 10" Infinity Reference 1060w (peak) subs. I have the amp turned down pretty low, as anywhere even approaching full power would blow them, but even at such a low setting it sounds amazing. My only issue with this setup is that my lows are almost non-existent. I have recently been informed that this is because I am running a mono amp.

Tonight, a local 5th gen owner is trading me a 12" Alpine Type-S in a ported box for some blackhoused headlights from my old car. I had to hop on the deal. Now, I have a problem; should I...

A) Keep my Kenwood amp/Infinity sub setup and sell the Alpine?
B) Keep the amp, ditch the dual Infinitys, and run the Alpine?
C) Ditch the amp, pick up a new one, keep the Infinitys, and sell the Alpine?
D) Ditch the amp, pick up a new one, keep the Alpine, and sell the Infinitys?

AND, if option C or D, which amp would you all suggest would be appropriate to run with that setup?

I'm running 0-gauge power/ground cables, 4-gauge speaker wire, and 12-gauge signal cable, fused at the battery, so power is no issue here. I just want a hard-hitting, clear system. Sorry for the essay, but I just wanted to make sure I covered all the bases for all those willing to help. Thanks in advance!

edzyy

Reaction score
yours lows are non existent because of your box.

Get another infinity sub to make 3 and run them Infinite baffle

You'll gain your trunk space back and have all the low end extension you desire.

Or

Scrap it all and start over.

ChrisPuh_Gone

Reaction score
yours lows are non existent because of your box.

Get another infinity sub to make 3 and run them Infinite baffle

You'll gain your trunk space back and have all the low end extension you desire.

Or

Scrap it all and start over.
Well I appreciate the post but I have a couple of problems with your info..

-I never mentioned anything about my box. My mistake. It looks almost exactly like this.
Dual-12-Inch-212H-main-image-01.jpg
I still have more than half of my trunk space with this.

-How would adding a 3rd sub and making it an infinite baffle setup help my lows if the reason I don't have strong lows is because I'm running a mono amp? And I'm pretty sure it definitely wouldn't help my trunk space... most people running IB have much higher-class setups than myself. Or it's not a car audio set up.

Don't mean to sound hostile, I just honestly have no idea how any of what you said would help :eh:

edzyy

Reaction score
sealed box is nothing more than a high pass filter. You can get low end in them, but it usually has to be large and stuffed with poly fill.

With IB, there is no box(as you already know this), so your low end would be boosted tremendously.

That amp is fine, and whoever told you that is a complete idiot.

I say add another since cone area is king in an IB config.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Ported or nothing man.

Sealed boxes just don't sound good. Doesn't give your setup its full potential if it can't move the air.

4 awg on speaker wire?! That's too much resistance man. And that's a nice amp. I would scrap both sub setups and get a nicer sub. Like Sundown or Digital Design. Cost a lot but it'll let you use all of your amp

edzyy

Reaction score
Ported is cool, but it depends on the setup and the goals.

I try to shy away from sealed, though.

Most inefficient alignment to go with.

IMO

ChrisPuh_Gone

Reaction score
sealed box is nothing more than a high pass filter. You can get low end in them, but it usually has to be large and stuffed with poly fill.

With IB, there is no box(as you already know this), so your low end would be boosted tremendously.

That amp is fine, and whoever told you that is a complete idiot.

I say add another since cone area is king in an IB config.
Thanks a bunch for the clarification, and I appreciate you not getting butthurt by my proper english. Most people take proper english as aggression nowadays.. I don't get it either lol. I will definitely look into the IB route should I decide to keep the Infinitys, although I have never even considered that route in the past; again, my mistake.
Ported or nothing man.

Sealed boxes just don't sound good. Doesn't give your setup its full potential if it can't move the air.

4 awg on speaker wire?! That's too much resistance man. And that's a nice amp. I would scrap both sub setups and get a nicer sub. Like Sundown or Digital Design. Cost a lot but it'll let you use all of your amp
+1 on the ported vs. sealed debate. And really? I just used 4awg since I had it laying around from my last setup. I figured 'the bigger, the better'... now that's sounding like it wasnt the best idea lol :dunce: What would be an appropriate size wire to use? Lastly, I've never heard of either of those brands. Definitely something I will look into. I know this amp has MASSIVE potential, most of which I have yet to unleash.

Thanks again to both of you for your swift and helpful replies

edzyy

Reaction score
If you want to save $$$, IB seems like the best route to go.

If not, have someone design a ported box for the infinity's

Back