Sub not responding well?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
check the polarity...i dont mean..."its right"...actually take it out and re-install all the wires from the subs voice coils to the box's terminals (if it has them), and from the terminal cup to the amp.

turn down all the bass boost and stuff :skurred:

also make sure your amps polarity is set at 0 degrees and not flipped to 180, if it has that option.

Jianizzle

Reaction score
Checked the polarity on everything.. Matched the reds with the red and the black with the black. I even have it hooked up on free air, outside of the box to be sure. It still BARELY hits, I'm at a loss for words.. haha.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
anything else get touched or could have been bumped by taking the box out?

any weird sounds or smells from the sub?

how big is the box?

Jianizzle

Reaction score
Mmm.. not that I could think of. Could it possibly be a fuse or something? I feel like it could be the Amp, but I'm not quite sure. No weird smells or anything. The box is 1.25 cu. ft and it's stuffed with some polyfill. At the moment, it's running free air just to be sure that it actually works.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
did you disconnect the negative battery terminal before working?

does your amp have multiple fuses?

is the power light on like normal (no reds, no protect)?

the amp ground should be checked. i'd also put in new fuses just to be sure...in the amp and in the power wire. i've had fuses go bad without showing signs of being bad, plus theyre cheap.

Jianizzle

Reaction score
I did not disconnect the negative battery terminal before working.

My amp has two 25A(?) fuses and they seem to be fine

The Power light is on, Blue, as it should be.

Would the fuses have anything to do with the lack of power being drawn into the sub?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
there are a ton of things to check, and i would pop in different fuses just to eliminate them. i have at least 2 of every one i use in the car so it'll never be an issue.

the amp fuses might be bad, but i have a feeling its something else. did you have to remove the amp when removing the box? seems like a connection issue to me...since speakers just dont stop working after being taken out...

Jianizzle

Reaction score
Well the speakers still do work, but they don't play loud at all. The amp was mounted to the box, so it had to be removed with it as well. I'm gonna go grab some new fuses. I'll let you know how it goes.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
yeah, keep us updated. also triple check all connections and terminals (if the amp needs wire terminals).

Jianizzle

Reaction score
Changed the fuses, no change. Checked all the connections and I'm officially looooooooost. :eek: I feel like it could be the amp itself. Gah.

Back