Supercharger questions?

Serberus

Reaction score
Ok, As some of you may know that my car has about 151,000 miles on it,and i would like to supercharge it. exactly what would I need? or is it even possible? I kind of want to make the car more fun but I dont want to have to buy an whole new engine. Would supercharging my J30 be safe after so many miles? It is my DD so i would run a low PSI anyway but just having a super charger would be great. thanks in advance.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
If you have a 98-01, I would be concerned about the tranny as well. I would suggest a 5/6-spd swap, but all that plus the S/C may not be worth it. The mileage is up there, but it's not so bad. Have you had any tranny issues so far?

bRaZEn_407

Reaction score
Yea I agree with both damage and darkside. Your engine is not what your gonna need to worry about. Adding more HP to that engine is just gonna make your tranny go quicker, considering the fact that with a SC under your hood, you'll probably want to have more "fun". So if your not planning to do a 6spd swap, I say dont do it.

legendaryyaj

Reaction score
Check compression on all cylinders. If they still hold good then boost it. Im at like 150+ and I think im gonna put on my charger come spring.

Serberus

Reaction score
Yea last summer I had my transmission rebuilt, it was slipping terribly but its much happier now :thumbup: but other than the transmission possibly going out and decent compression is there any thing else that would hurt it? I just want to s/c so bad but i dont wanna have to replace the engine. I also do want a 6 speed but I would like to introduce the s/c before worrying about the tranny 1 step at a time. I am a "safe driver" and i tend to go slow unless Im messing around with my friends at the empty school parking lot....I just wnat to s/c it befor my engine is too fargone the tranny has a 2 year warranty from the last fix so that will hold over untill I save for the 6-speed

Last edited:

legendaryyaj

Reaction score
^Dont we all wish. Just because you get a J32 doesnt mean you get a tranny too. You have to buy both separately unless you're lucky. Doing the swap is gonna cost a ton.

You will be fine. If your motor does blow, just get another one. They are cheaper than transmissions. If your compression checks out, you have nothing to worry about but your transmission but I honestly feel that you'll be fine.

Back