supercharger vs. turbo pros and cons

Shwayzar

Reaction score
I currently have a 98 sedan with the j30a1 engine i want more horsepower.
im debating wether to go with an engine/tranny swap to a H22 and 5sp mt and turbo it or keep my j30a1 and supercharge it. i know im going to have to pay either way but i was wanting to get some of opions on y one over the other. thanks in advance.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
I've been researching this for a long time - SC vs T or even better a 3.5 swap. The problem with the J30a1 internals is that they are cast and not forged like the J32+ engines. Cast internals cannot hold a lot of power without becoming dust. Also the IM setup is very very restrictive which in turn hurts your ability to gain power. Good luck with your build. If I were you I'd swap the 6 speed in like me and numerous other members here and on v6performance.net did and then think about either rebuilding your internals then boost or swaping the j32+ engine and then boost. As for SC vs T it depends on how much you want to go. SC can only go so far by changing pullies/ adding after coolers unlike with turbo setups you can change out a smaller turbo for a bigger turbo and raise and lower the boost buy a touch of a buttom etc. Also with custom built turbo setups you can compensate for the amount of turbo lag. From what I've seen a SC setup is easier for daily driven applications but both can be safe if built and/or tuned right.

Also with a Turbo setup you can peice together the components over time unlike the SC setup where you usually buy the whole kit together.

Don't swap a 4cyl into a v6. Just do the 6 speed swap and then go from their. The CL type S 6 speed is a great drivetrain

Last edited:

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
ur bay is set up for V6...so unless you want to spent alot for swap..PLUS alot more for the motor and parts than thats up to you..easier to buy a 4cyl car then if you want h22
But stay v6 and do a 6speed or acura swap.

Kaskiat

Reaction score
I have to agree with the other guys on this, but you want other people's input so here is something to think about. If you just want more power go supercharged and if your going to supercharge it you might as well do the extra bit and throw a 6 speed in it. You'll be much happier. As for the h22 swap, definetly not from a car that previously had a v6. The other main thing to think about is your v6 has 200hp/195tq. Supercharged you'll probably have something close to 260hp. H22 is roughly 200hp/150tq (depending on which one you get), turbocharging it, like every other engine, you'll get different numbers and it pretty much depends on how much you want to spend. Another thing to back up the 6 speed swap is (V6 guys correct me if im wrong) the automatic tranny in your accord may not agree with the extra power.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
I have to agree with the other guys on this, but you want other people's input so here is something to think about. If you just want more power go supercharged and if your going to supercharge it you might as well do the extra bit and throw a 6 speed in it. You'll be much happier. As for the h22 swap, definetly not from a car that previously had a v6. The other main thing to think about is your v6 has 200hp/195tq. Supercharged you'll probably have something close to 260hp. H22 is roughly 200hp/150tq (depending on which one you get), turbocharging it, like every other engine, you'll get different numbers and it pretty much depends on how much you want to spend. Another thing to back up the 6 speed swap is (V6 guys correct me if im wrong) the automatic tranny in your accord WILL not agree with the extra power.

Fixed

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
yea first things first. 6 speed swap not a 5 speed if you want better acceleration. and i suggest the j32 or j35 swap. THEN think about TC or SC. i rather have TC...never liked SC.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
depends on what you like, no power until 4k with a turbo, or a strong power curve throughout the rpm band with a supercharger.

Latest posts

Back