Suspension clunk, can speak car

synchromash

Reaction score
I've owned my 98 coupe for two years now and suspension wise have only installed an upper driver's side OE control arm. The passenger's side was slightly dismantled when I installed a new clutch about 16 months ago.

There is a noticeable clunk if I can cause a jounce against driveline torque (for example, engine braking in 1st after a speed bump and only adding slight throttle) The jounce will cause a clunk. The sound can also be heard if the suspension rapidly compresses/extends if i don't craaaawl over a bump. There is no inward outward movement when shaking the wheel in an out, as can be noticed with upper balljoint. I jacked the front end up and loaded the lower control arm. There was not lower balljoint flex when pried up from underneath with a prybar but I have not tried prying between the lower and arm an hub yet.

HOWEVER, if it grab the wheel at the front and back, it will pivot and create somewhat of a clunk like what is noticeable while driving. This does not occur on the driver's side. Is this a steering tie rod or could it be something else? Any advice is appreciated.

KORD99

Reaction score
I've owned my 98 coupe for two years now and suspension wise have only installed an upper driver's side OE control arm. The passenger's side was slightly dismantled when I installed a new clutch about 16 months ago.

There is a noticeable clunk if I can cause a jounce against driveline torque (for example, engine braking in 1st after a speed bump and only adding slight throttle) The jounce will cause a clunk. The sound can also be heard if the suspension rapidly compresses/extends if i don't craaaawl over a bump. There is no inward outward movement when shaking the wheel in an out, as can be noticed with upper balljoint. I jacked the front end up and loaded the lower control arm. There was not lower balljoint flex when pried up from underneath with a prybar but I have not tried prying between the lower and arm an hub yet.

HOWEVER, if it grab the wheel at the front and back, it will pivot and create somewhat of a clunk like what is noticeable while driving. This does not occur on the driver's side. Is this a steering tie rod or could it be something else? Any advice is appreciated.

ANswer ;

my car does the same thing and i really dont know what it is

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
if it makes noise while wiggling a wheel left and right (with your hands at 9 and 3 o'clock on the tire)...chances are good its a tie rod end. check the outer end for seepage/boot tearing/play...hope its that and not the inner rod :ugh:

slowrider87

Reaction score
yes. tie rod end is my suspicions as well. been there. dealt with that noise and similar diagnosis. definitely check that. new ones did the trick.

synchromash

Reaction score
Long overdue update:
I have since replaced the outer pass. side tie rod which did silence some of the noise. The car was in to a small local shop when a similar noise persisted. there was no movement on the hoist, but when the suspension was loaded up, some play was found in the sway bar and potentially the strut top (hat..?)

AZmike

Reaction score
I had a noise like the one you describe going over bumps. I found both of my front bumpstops were bad. I replaced them and the upper and lower rubber bushings in the shock mounts and the noise is gone. My outer tie rod ends were also going, but replacing them did not affect my noise.

Back