Temp Gauge Issue

Luke_Vestal

Reaction score
Well, I got a 1998 Honda Accord EX, and the heat gauge doesn't work as it should. What happens is that it stay really high up all of the time. But if you knock at it, it drops, but proceeds to jump right back up. Is this a case where I need to replace the cluster? I've been told that's it, but could it be bad wiring? Something that could be done easy and cheap? Thanks for the responses in advanced.

Dimitar

Reaction score
My needle does something similar, except it is all the way at the bottom, even when the engine is hot. Once I knock on the dash, it starts moving to the middle. It usually stays there for a while, and randomly goes back down to cold. I've hooked up an OBD to my car, and the temperature sensor is reading properly, not giving erratic signal. I think its the cluster.

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
It could be a short somewhere. I remember there's some kind of test for the temp gauge where you either touch 2 wires or jump something and the needle shoots into the red. Wish I remembered how to do it, my auto teacher told me about it a while ago...
Anyways, you could do what I did when my temp gauge broke. Simply wire in an autolite temp gauge from AutoZone. Give you a really accurate reading and looks cool

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Dvom, check voltage when cold vs ohms in chart, at sensor, & cluster.

If good @cluster, cluster
If @cluster bad, wiring
If @sensor bad, sensor

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
I got the name wrong, it's auto meter. Any of them should work fine as long you get the right size pod. I'll try to figure out exactly which one I used and let you know

gsrteg

Reaction score
I thought i was the only one experiencing this problem. I also have a problem with my temperature gauge. Like what Dimitar (above) stated, on cold start up the needle is low. It glitches and has a slow response as the engine idles at normal temperature. I have to tap on it as well to get it to show the correct reading. I did the same procedure. I hooked up my obd2 scanner tool and it also showed the correct temp reading while the temp gauge wasn't. I'm wondering if it's the solder to the connections on the gauge that is causing the issue? Maybe they are corroded or melted off the connections.

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Maybe, remove cluster and carefully investigate, have a solder iron ready.

HotboxF23

Reaction score
You might have a short on the cluster...try removing it and checking voltage at the cluster and also at the engine temp sensor AND connector when the car is warmed up and cold to see if you see a difference if you get drops of excess fluctuations in voltage then thats where the problem lies..hope this helps

**also remember when making repairs to the electrical system always disconnect the negative battery terminal so you dont blow a fuse or short something else**

Last edited:
Back