Temp sensor for Temp Gauge

Jokon

Reaction score
I looked around and I have not found anything on my little situation so here it is.
I've been lazy and have not gotten around to finding a way to install the temp sensor for a 1998 V6 wiring harness into a 2002 V6 engine. I know the 2002 did not use the wired temp sensor and only went direct ECU to dash. I am just curious on how I could get this to work without having to any craziness to the motor. Anyone have a simple solution to my predicament? It's not priority but I would like to know if my engine is getting to hot now that it is summer; been fine without it since January.

Any working solutions are welcomed. Thanks.

f23accord2000

Reaction score
you sure its your temp sensor? is your fans kicking in (all the time),is your thermostat still good have you change your fluid, if you have not changed your thermostat then i would go ahead and change that along with all the fluid,start it up let it sit running and wait till the fan kicks on

MikeyMike

Reaction score
im confused on what you are trying to do..

is your gauge not reading? or your fans not working?

if its not reading, i may be able to help you out because i had to do it..

my car/dash is '99, my ecu is '03

you have to drill the sensor into the flow port of the engine (thermostat housing) and then run a single wire off that sensor to a wire on the bulk connectors on the left strut tower.. when i get home i can try to take pictures and show you

Last edited:

MikeyMike

Reaction score
the yellow/green wire by itself in the middle of the picture..
002-4.jpg

closer shot of where its drilled into
001-4.jpg

splice into the green/yellow wire on the firewall side of the top connector
003-3.jpg

finch13

Reaction score
I bet you could tap into the ECT signal wire as well instead of installing a sending unit.

Jokon

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. My situation is that I have a 2002 motor block which doesn't have the hole drilled out for the 1998's wiring harness which already has the temperature sensor. I don't need to do any wiring modifications. I am just looking for a way to get that sensor to read out to the dash since it is currently just dangling in my engine bay. The fans still work because the ECU is still getting a temp read-out. However I don't have the visual representation of how hot the engine is on the dash gauge. Does this mean I am going to have to make the port for the sensor or can I just sneak it in somewhere to get a fairly close to accurate display of the engine temperature?

NashvegasCG

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. My situation is that I have a 2002 motor block which doesn't have the hole drilled out for the 1998's wiring harness which already has the temperature sensor. I don't need to do any wiring modifications. I am just looking for a way to get that sensor to read out to the dash since it is currently just dangling in my engine bay. The fans still work because the ECU is still getting a temp read-out. However I don't have the visual representation of how hot the engine is on the dash gauge. Does this mean I am going to have to make the port for the sensor or can I just sneak it in somewhere to get a fairly close to accurate display of the engine temperature?

the alternative is to buy a temp gauge and a radiator hose adaptor (which has the temp reader in it) on ebay and run a few wires and be done with it. be sure to put the adapter on the return coolant line.

MikeyMike

Reaction score
the way i did it was how nva-av6 on v6p said to do it. he builds EVERYONES swaps.. i had to drill the hole because my engine is '03. the gauge is outdated compared to the new wire harness...

Jokon

Reaction score
Could you explain to me the process of drilling out this sensor hole on the housing or should I just go to a shop and have them do it for me?

MikeyMike

Reaction score
i would go to a shop.. its better to remove the housing so you dont get any shavings in the coolant.. it will probably ruin your radiator :poke:

Back