the dreaded transmission problems

pyromonkey721

Reaction score
Im not sure what is exactly wrong with the transmission. hoping i could get some insight from you guys. When I ut the car in R it takes like 3-5 seconds to get in gear with a thump. then When I put it into D4 it takes off for a second then stays in 1st gear or something. then wont go past 45 mph and up shift at all. Does anybody have an idea. This co worker of mine says it could be a shift solenoid..

pyromonkey721

Reaction score
I changed iit with the honda ATF fluid. The only difference is the physical movement of the shifter feels smoother but the trans stills shifts the same.

pyromonkey721

Reaction score
anybody have these problems. Such as putting the car in D4 then not shifting into the right gears when taking off. or putting the car into D3 and only getting 2 gear. The D4 light isnt blinking and I drained and filled the trans with new honda fluid.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
If you have fresh fluid, and no MIL (no codes etc...), then you probly have an internal mechanical problem.

I guess I need to see what you can pull (data), but from a describe w/o test, it sounds dead.

pyromonkey721

Reaction score
ok thank you for your response. Ill see about opening it up and checking out the parts, checking for worn or bad gears and clutches.

Clevor

Reaction score
Yeah 2000 Accord V-6 with 157,000 miles here. Mine has a delay shifting into D4 when the engine is cold. Only happens in the morning or if the car has sat for 8+ hrs, otherwise no problem getting into gear when engine is warm. I have to wait till the engine temp gets to or past the lowest hash mark on the gauge, or rev the engine past 2000 rpm a couple of times. No flashing D4 light, and the tranny shifts flawless otherwise. Fortunately I have no problem with reverse.

I have done the 3-refill flush and installed a Magnefine filter, hasn't resolved the problem but at least I know this will save the clutches.

I am in the process of rebuilding a spare BX7A tranny and I think I know what the problem is in my case (not the OP's). There is a servo piston that controls the gear selector shaft, and the O-ring around it is probably worn and flattened out. When the tranny fluid is warm, the rubber expands so it holds pressure. Requires pretty much a 75% teardown to replace.

The OP might want to remove two of the solenoids that have accessible screens to see if they are plugged. The solenoids are a bit of a ***** to get to with the tranny in the car, though. But cleaning the screens only solves half the problem: that means the clutches and bands may be worn, so the tranny can crap out at any time if it's slipping.

Last edited:
Back