Thermostat needle rises when idle but lowers when driving

Drami5

Reaction score
I recently noticed when i'm at a stop sign, the thermostat needle starts rising slowly to the H. I then went back home and noticed that when I drive the needle is normal.. it's only when im idling when the needle rises.

I also checked my oil, antifreeze, and everything is great.

Any ideas on what it could be?

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
check if your fans work.... when moving, the air is cooling down the motor. At idle, no air flows through

xci.ed6

Reaction score
first easy check /\

but 'at idle' may not mean enough, hold throttle at 3krpm, in neutral, not moving, watch gauges

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Ok, sounds like a 'flow' issue, make sure the radiator IS NOT BLOCKED (road trash / etc...).

Try a thermostat, if it's open to air.

After, if it still happens, your thinkin internal block (common if stop-leak used) or pump has no blades (common on some w/ plastic impeller).

Last edited:

Drami5

Reaction score
Ok, sounds like a 'flow' issue, make sure the radiator IS NOT BLOCKED (road trash / etc...).

Try a thermostat, if it's open to air.

After, if it still happens, your thinkin internal block (common if stop-leak used) or pump has no blades (common on some w/ plastic impeller).

I'm gonna have it checked out to see what it is..

thanks xci you're everywhere to help haha

xci.ed6

Reaction score
oh, was made assuming coolant tank full, and radiator (check cold) cause a busted cap will empty rad, to res, so it looks full there.

Start when cold, check rad for any 'bubble' action

goldenchamp

Reaction score
I had an old CB7 that did this after some major engine work. It turned out that the thermostat was stuck. Replacing that seemed to cure it, and it was innocuous enough. Maybe give that a try if nothing that was previously said worked?

Back