Throttle position sensor only reads 87% open

Hoff Daddy

Reaction score
After installing a new o2 sensor I decided to check on its performance. While playing with the code scanner I found the tps % and played with it. I noticed it was at 9.7% shut and about 86.6% wot. This concerns me a little bit. I do think my throttle plate is 100% open, but I want to get a buddy to help me check. My throttle cable seems pretty tight, there is only about a 1/4 in of travel in the gas pedal before it pulls the cable. I'll figure out all that for sure soon though. What I'd like to know right now is does anybody know what these numbers really should be? I'm assuming wot should be 100% but what should it be when it is shut?

james'99

Reaction score
That is hard to say. There is no electronics involved in that particular system so I don't know how it monitors that. MAP sensor maybe? I'll see if I can check mine out with my Ultra Gauge.

Hoff Daddy

Reaction score
Yeah... I've also read it doesn't matter. There's a couple reasons that I'm confused by this now.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
the computer self corrects for errors, you're only off a bit so check the connections for corrosion

Back