TL Sway-Bar question

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
not really. increasing the size of the front sway increases the stiffness of the front, which in turn, will give your car more understeer. if you do just the rear sway, it increases the oversteer, which our cars could use some of, since they already have gobs of understeer.

said best here...in the other thread you were asking about it in as well...

Just go with a 24mm Rear Sway bar from a TL-S from Progress. A sway bar helps with the rigidity of the suspension and gives it the tendancy to "slide". The front sway bar causes the front end of the car to slide - therefore give you understeer.

Pretty much all vehicle manufactures will give you a massive front sway bar to allow the car to understeer. An understeering car is "easier" to control. By adding a rear sway bar, you are giving the rear end of to slide a bit and therefore the car will "rotate" properly in the corners.

Now, I speak from track knowledge here, and you should not ever be driving at speeds on the street or performing manuvers to allow the rear end to swing out - so I am not going to tell you that it does... but it helps.

If you add really stiff springs from GC (with proper shocks like Koni Yellows or Race), then the entire front end is stiff enough, you can actually disconnect the front sway bar to eliminate the entire tendancy of understeer - and greatly increase the cars ability to oversteer.

Long story short = Increasing the Front Sway bar ... NO NO.

Last edited:

low430

Reaction score
not really. increasing the size of the front sway increases the stiffness of the front, which in turn, will give your car more understeer. if you do just the rear sway, it increases the oversteer, which our cars could use some of, since they already have gobs of understeer.

said best here...

The purpose of a swaybar is to reduce body roll, Just because your car has more "oversteer" doesnt make it faster in the twisties, If you slalom your car you will post faster times with the upgraded front and rear swaybar. I upgraded the front and rear swaybars on my integra, First Type R rear swaybar with subframe brace, this caused oversteer which was fun but not as responsive or stable as I wanted, So I upgraded the front sway to a ST, the car was more neutral in balance and yes you can understeer it but it also would oversteer with a little scandinavian flick and was much safer and more stable in the corners.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
oh, im sorry, i forgot you were a pro from all your integra experience. i guess the way my car feels after doing just the rear sway bar is completely misleading me and others.

in the end, your cars' are your cars, do to them whatever you want. do you really need to up the size of the front sway though? no.

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
I'm with Andy on this one... upgrading the rear sway only made the handling feel a lot better, removing the front bar completely made it even better, if a little front end lift in the corners doesn't freak you out.

5spd'r

Reaction score
A DX front sway is a good choice, can't remember the size but it's the smallest available that I know of...no way would I put a bigger front sway on.

low430

Reaction score
oh, im sorry, i forgot you were a pro from all your integra experience. i guess the way my car feels after doing just the rear sway bar is completely misleading me and others.

in the end, your cars' are your cars, do to them whatever you want. do you really need to up the size of the front sway though? no.

Yeah and I have the TL-S rear swaybar upgrade done on my accord, It oversteers too much so I will be installing the front upgraded bar soon.
Does it need it ? No
Do I prefer it Yes/.
I get the nimble stiff handling of a stiffer suspension without sacrificing my ride quality.

Personally I would rather have softer spring rates and stiff swaybars, because a swaybar really is a spring that acts on the car during corners.

But some prefer daily driving slammed on coils, I mean to each his own,

If a smaller front swaybar makes a FWD faster why would honda use the 24MM Front 22MM REar on the type R instead of something smaller on the front, Like the LS integra.

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=43

Last edited:

Hondamugen103

Reaction score
Ok so long story and a lot of *****ing short. Its best to just upgrade the rear sway bar. I'm going to be dropped on d2 in june... not that it matters. Was going to get the 04+ tl sway bar, Should i not get oem and go with progress?

Back