To swap or not to swap

TB13

Reaction score
:thumbsup:

so are you mechanical? this isn't easy to do. I hope you have someone who can help you/a shop to do it all at and not your parents house :lawl:

I'm 17, but I would consider myself very handy with many people who would be willing to help me. My grandpa has a shop he would let me use that has any tool I need available to me. This is going to be a summer project, something to do while its 110* outside here in Az.

Also, the transmission is a H2A5 and I believe my motor is a F23A, I can verify this tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
A transmission swap requires more than pappy's mean set-a-tools.. well, unless its a ridiculously mean set of tools. :lawl: Anyways, good luck. There are dudes here who have done the auto to manual trans swaps so, search their threads. You can find a lot of info.

Go to the bottom left hand of the page and click the drop down screen and switch your vb skin over to Juice +. There is a search bar at the top of that skin that makes searching easy. Like google...

oh, and use google.

:lawl: welcome and happy modding.

TB13

Reaction score
A transmission swap requires more than pappy's mean set-a-tools.. well, unless its a ridiculously mean set of tools. :lawl: Anyways, good luck. There are dudes here who have done the auto to manual trans swaps so, search their threads. You can find a lot of info.

Go to the bottom left hand of the page and click the drop down screen and switch your vb skin over to Juice +. There is a search bar at the top of that skin that makes searching easy. Like google...

oh, and use google.

:lawl: welcome and happy modding.

Ahh, common, you're treating me like I am a little kid, I have done a bit of research already and found some nice resources here and on other forums. Although this might be my first car related project, I have some good experience working on other things.

I just wanted to ask if you guys thought it was worth it.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
Well, a good handful of people here have done it. When my trans kicked the bucket I was going to do it. Although, the people I am referring to drive the V6, like myself. So, they got 2 extra gears out of their 3.0 engines. Sooo.. that said. You drive a 4Cyl, the "worth"... its a bit skimpy there. :lawl:

and the kid comment.. you dont know this forum. :lawl:

TB13

Reaction score
Well, a good handful of people here have done it. When my trans kicked the bucket I was going to do it. Although, the people I am referring to drive the V6, like myself. So, they got 2 extra gears out of their 3.0 engines. Sooo.. that said. You drive a 4Cyl, the "worth"... its a bit skimpy there. :lawl:

and the kid comment.. you dont know this forum.

I wish I had the V6, but I got my 4cyl for cheap so I can't complain. Even if the manual trans only gives me a little bit of a performance increase, I plan on doing other mods once I have a manual transmission that should make it well worth the time and effort.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
:thumbsup:

Well... post your progress in here as you go. When are you thinking about getting the 91?

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
:henry:

Dude, I'm 18. Done a lot more research and work than you. And I would barely consider myself competent enough to do it all by myself. And I have A LOT more equipment than you.

You do realize you need more than just the transmission, right?

TB13

Reaction score
:henry:

Dude, I'm 18. Done a lot more research and work than you. And I would barely consider myself competent enough to do it all by myself. And I have A LOT more equipment than you.

You do realize you need more than just the transmission, right?

And? You have done more work than me which gives you more experience which gives you more confidence. Isn't it true that without working on something it is almost impossible to gain experience? I have all kinds of experience with things like rc cars and computers, mostly self taught with help from the internet and some guidance from people who know what they are doing. I know neither of those things is a car, but it does give me prior knowledge of how to work on things in general. I enjoy projects that require me to learn new things.

Also, I know I am going to need much more than the transmission. I am going to put together a parts list after school today and see what I will be getting with the 91 Accord I am buying and what else I am going to need.

I never have understood people trying to discourage others from trying new things (unless we are talking about drugs). I guess its the people who think something like this would be a walk in the park until they find out all the work that goes into it, I'm not one of those people.

Brad2274

Reaction score
buy it, there's plenty of meat on the bone for making a profit, that's pretty cheap if all the car is there. i bet you can use the clutch resevior and a couple other pieces besides the tranny, then sell the extras to pay for what you dont have

Back