Touch-up painting of bumper - do I need plastic primer?

mossberg

Reaction score
Rear bumper of my Accord has some small dents and scratches from being hit in a parking lot. Not worth getting repaired and painted by a professional given cost to do so relative to value of car, but it's rather unsightly.

Since a bit of DIY sanding, rattlecan priming and painting made a dent on the rear quarter panel (described here) much less obvious, I figured I'd tackle this myself as well.

Couple of questions:
1. The car's paint is Honda nighthawk black pearl and I have some spray paint in this color from the rear quarter panel painting. Is this the same paint I'd use on the bumper, or is there different paint for the bumper?
2. Can I use the same primer I used on the rear quarter panel, or do I need some kind of plastic primer?
3. Other than the above, I assume bumper touch-up work is essentially the same as body touch-up - i.e., light sanding, clean, prime, paint?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
In my experience, the same stuff works fine. You have the correct process.

Wht00Accord

Reaction score
You'll need to get adhesion promotor for plastic bumper to help paint stick. Without it the paint with flex and chip off.

mossberg

Reaction score
You'll need to get adhesion promotor for plastic bumper to help paint stick. Without it the paint with flex and chip off.
Can you spray adhesion promoter on bondo (flexible bondo for bumpers) or should it only be sprayed on the scuffed up areas surrounding the bondo repair?

mossberg

Reaction score
Picked up some duplicolor adhesion promoter. It says to apply topcoat 10 min after applying promoter. So no separate primer? If no, how do you get it smooth? Sand the paint and spray a couple of coats with sanding between each?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
yup.

As for flexibility, I haven't had problems with Rustoleum, it doesn't match though...

1927677_505866368299_1566_n.jpg

I painted that with rattle cans. No problems with adhesion, flaking, cracking, anything.
When you try painting, we need to know what you're spraying.

mossberg

Reaction score
Ya lost me - 'yup' to which question? :)

As for flexibility, I haven't had problems with Rustoleum, it doesn't match though...
Yeah, I just figure it's worth the $7 that the adhesion promoter costs for the extra insurance. Especially since the bumper will most likely get 'flexed' in parking lots and tight parking spaces.

mossberg

Reaction score
Picked up some duplicolor adhesion promoter. It says to apply topcoat 10 min after applying promoter. So no separate primer? If no, how do you get it smooth? Sand the paint and spray a couple of coats with sanding between each?

correct process

Got it, thanks.

When you try painting, we need to know what you're spraying.
Rear bumper of my Accord. Gonna do a little more sanding of the bumper and bondo and then spray the Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter and then paint (Duplicolor Perfect Match Honda Nighthawk Black Pearl). Sand some more, paint again, repeat as necessary and then hit with a couple of coats of clear (Duplicolor Perfect Match Protective Clear Coat).

mossberg

Reaction score
Gonna do a little more sanding of the bumper and bondo and then spray the Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter and then paint (Duplicolor Perfect Match Honda Nighthawk Black Pearl). Sand some more, paint again, repeat as necessary and then hit with a couple of coats of clear (Duplicolor Perfect Match Protective Clear Coat).
After applying rattlecan paint, I applied 7 light coats of rattlecan clear. It's still noticeably less glossy than the factory clear. I know the rattlecan stuff goes on much lighter than when using a spray gun, which is why I did 7 coats.

Would additional coats increase the gloss effect?

Also, it's been about 24hrs since the last coat, so I assume I'd have to wet sand a little bit to get any additional coats to stick? Or can I just wipe down the cured clear with rubbing alcohol, dry and spray more clear and have it stick?

Last edited:
Back