Tranny Oil

wesmac

Reaction score
Whats up guys, so I had my auto trans. replaced at ~75K. Got ~177K on er now and Im wondering if I need to even touch the tranny fluid or leave it as it stands at this point. Its gettin a little "darker-red" colored, so Im wondering if I need to go for it....tranny shifts like a dream...dont want another dead tranny! haha Thanks!:peace:

F23A1AT

Reaction score
You have driven 102,000 miles on the same trans fluid? :wtf1: Drain and refill it ASAP before it starts to slip at all. ONLY use ATF from the dealership though. The service interval on ATF is like 17K miles.

wesmac

Reaction score
Yeah, kinda slipped on that one....17k! yikes! need to keep my maintenance manual handy.lol.

Im thinking a tranny flush is out of the question at this point?

Just drain and fill/replace filter?

Last edited:

redlinevtec

Reaction score
Yeah, kinda slipped on that one....17k! yikes! need to keep my maintenance manual handy.lol.

Im thinking a tranny flush is out of the question at this point?

Just drain and fill/replace filter?

unfortunately there are no filters for our accords. since you have gotten this many miles out of the car, I would recommend a tranny cooler. if you got a v6, get a filter. I'm to lazy to see if you have the v6 in your first post lol. the interval to change the fluid is not 17k, it's 30k. But depending how you drive and where you live, i would do it every 25k. drain and refill, drive a little bit, then repeat. ^_^

wesmac

Reaction score
got a 4cyl, tranny cooler is def. an option. I had thought about it in the past, but kinda forgot about the idea, anyone with a cooler have any tips?

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Your fluid should be black as coal. Hondas dont need filters, there is a magnet that catches all the metal shavings on the plug. Tranny cooler is a better idea since these transmissions LOVE to slip between gears so old people can have a nice ride.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol im also surprised ur fluid is still only dark red color. do u do mostly highway driving only? :eh:

wesmac

Reaction score
Yeah, the majority of my miles are highway, prob. about ~200-250 city per week, just ran ~2500 mile trip, ran like a dream!

Mr. HuMpY

Reaction score
man my tranny fluid is the same color and i got 178k+ miles on it. well i guess ill find a day that im free to change the oil. :lawl:

well alex what you doing this weekend ????:thumbup:

Back