Tranny slipping?

Patelito

Reaction score
Whats up! I have a Honda Accord EX V6 with 187XXX. Second owner. tranny never rebuilt engine runs very smooth. But when i put my foot on the gas lightly it shifts at about 2.5-3.5 rpms with a little kick back. When i floor it sometimes it kicks sometimes it doesn't. Can it be a mount or is it the tranny going bad?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Sounds like the normal behavior of a V6 6thgen trans to me. Mine did this for a long time, and it never worsened. Was still strong at 132k miles when I pulled it.

Just do regular fluid drain & fills (NOT flushes), baby the car, and don’t drive like a retard. Meaning don’t floor the pedal or accelerate hard from a dead stop. Me and others have mentioned other driving techniques to keep stress off the trans as well, just search around some.

Until you get the blinking D4 light, the car is operational.

Last edited:

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
Mine did that just before it started slipping severely and at about identical mileage too. Do a drain and fill like Chris said and baby it. Eventually it will fail you. Mine died about 3k later an had to be replaced.

jwong512

Reaction score
It could possibly be your motor or tranny mount. My friend has a V6 coupe and we thought his tranny was going out. Turns out one of his engine mounts was going out and causing the harsh shifts.

shenaniganz08

Reaction score
sounds normal ish

as long as you don't have slipping ( you press the gas and see the rpms go up but your speed doesn't) then you should be ok

With your high mileage car you should get a tranny fluid drain and fill every other oil change. Its a pain in the *** but our trannies suck, and $30 vs $1000+ for a tranny rebuild is a better option

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
Did he/she get hurt? But seriously when was the last time you had the transmission fluid changed?

Last edited:

Patelito

Reaction score
thanks man. Its still running like a champ.190XXX. I'm baby it in 1st and 2nd gear after that i see that i can floor it. so im guessing it is slipping on 1st and 2nd gear.

001Stunna

Reaction score
thanks man. Its still running like a champ.190XXX. I'm baby it in 1st and 2nd gear after that i see that i can floor it. so im guessing it is slipping on 1st and 2nd gear.

NO, you shouldn't really be flooring it at all. In what scenario in the street would you need to floor it???

Back