Transmission issue?

ejreams

Reaction score
Hey guys i have a similar problem, i have a slip from 2nd to 3rd, but ive heard its common with accords

It is common, its common that they slip from 2nd to 3rd before they buy the farm. lol

Like it has been stated, you can change the fluids, blah blah blah but its already on its way out, trust me I've been through it, it only gets worse from here on out. In about a month or two it won't catch in 2nd you'll have to try and manually get it into 3rd.

@Circsurvive:
I would guess that when the trans gets hot two things happen.
One, the metal expands inside and being that things are already worn down, it may heat up more so in places where metal has become thin? the pressure changes in some way?
Two, the fluid itself heats more rapidly because of this and is thinned out, also changing the pressure within the case, I'm assuming automatic transmissions are pretty precise and thus this is why it shifts so rough?

Last edited:

cirsurvive711

Reaction score
@Circsurvive:
I would guess that when the trans gets hot two things happen.
One, the metal expands inside and being that things are already worn down, it may heat up more so in places where metal has become thin? the pressure changes in some way?
Two, the fluid itself heats more rapidly because of this and is thinned out, also changing the pressure within the case, I'm assuming automatic transmissions are pretty precise and thus this is why it shifts so rough?

The month it began harsh shifting from 1 to 2 I installed a tranny cooler. I'm not sure if it's a solenoid or not, but I have no CEL's. Just been living with it until it finally craps out then no more 6th gen for me.. I have 168k miles, original trans :(

domonas

Reaction score
The month it began harsh shifting from 1 to 2 I installed a tranny cooler. I'm not sure if it's a solenoid or not, but I have no CEL's. Just been living with it until it finally craps out then no more 6th gen for me.. I have 168k miles, original trans :(

Yeah, mine is at that 164k mile mark. I know others have said that the transmission is on its way out, but it's been this way for a few years now. I dunno, regardless, I go home for Thanksgiving, so I'll take it to my dad's mechanic at that point and get the car looked at.

CreepyWilly

Reaction score
I had this issue until my tranny blowed up on a 2k 3.0 with 210k km. I haven't opened the tranny casing but we pretty much all concluded that either the gears or the clutches form the auto-transmission were burnt/grinded. It just got worst after a few heavy kick from the shifting from 1 to 2nd. Before it died the transmission comp would crash and i had to stop engine and restart so it doesn't skip 1st and 2nd gear. Honda's shop did tell me it was the gears grinding each others.

domonas

Reaction score
I did the 3x drain and fill over the weekend. And sure enough, everything is much better. It's definitely a mechanical issue as I still have the stalling/grinding issue from 1st to 2nd, but everything "feels" smoother.

Back