transmission trouble

jewy11

Reaction score
i live in florida and have a 2002 4cyl. **this only happens when cold**the tranny jerks into gear when first shifted from reverse to D4. then when i accelerate, the first to second shift jumps to 4k rpm then goes into 2nd. after the tranny warms up it shifts fine

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
the tranny on these cars seems to be either a lemon or a very well put together tranny. i have a little bit of a jerk from dead stop into reverse upon first start up of the day. so what i do is pump it from P to R until it starts to jerk into R and then quickly push it back to park. Then i ease it back into reverse without the foot on the brake to let the gears slide together and let it push the car into reverse instead of it jerking into reverse with my foot on the brake. its small things like that that will help your tranny last a long time. :afro:

EscoStylez

Reaction score
i live in florida and have a 2002 4cyl. **this only happens when cold**the tranny jerks into gear when first shifted from reverse to D4. then when i accelerate, the first to second shift jumps to 4k rpm then goes into 2nd. after the tranny warms up it shifts fine

Welcome to my life FYI I'm looking for a new tranny sorry for the bad news

jwong512

Reaction score
I think it might be the USDM accords that mainly have transmission issues. Mine is the USDM version but I looked up my VIN and my car was 100% assembled in Japan. There were only about 30% or so that were assembled in Japan. My tranny has about 138.4k and I beat on it from time to time and so far it's fine. However, I do have a tranny cooler and I change my fluid ever 10-15k. Last time I changed it, I used DW-1 and it seems to be working nicely until it started to blend in with the Z1. Planning on doing another DW-1 drain and fill this weekend. Hopefully it'll get most of the Z1 out of there. Also, I warm up my car everyday before I drive it and when I park, I put it in neutral first, e-brake up, left off the brake, and put it in park. Rear brake pads are much cheaper than a brand new transmission rebuild.

Back